Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated Could this be bloat?

cowseatbeef

Cavy Slave
I'm finding it so hard to determine if Pig is bloated or not. I'm not sure if his tummy is swollen or if that's just the way he is, i've never had another pig to compare it to. I have flipped him onto his back and did the little flicking trick and I still can't decide if it's a hollow noise that i'm hearing or not. He is eating normally though and pooping like usual. He doesn't like when I touch his tummy, he does the little bite and run away, but he's always been like that. I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but I live in residence on campus and I'd have to put him in his carrier and call cabs to and from the vets and I just wanted to hear what you guys thought before I did that. I am going to be going home Thursday so I could wait until then to take him to my own vet but I don't know, I'm so unsure about what I should do.

pinky

Cavy Slave
If he's eating and pooping, I wouldn't be concerned. Bloat causes extreme discomfort and your pig wouldn't be eating or pooping.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you've got some sort of a vibrating pillow, you can also put him on that and see if it helps. But if he's eating and pooping, I wouldn't worry about it. Just watch and be prepared to get him to a vet if he stops doing either one.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If your pig had bloat, he would be seriously sick--looking and acting sick. Not eating, puffed up, not pooping.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.