Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Can anyone help with what this means please?

Eparki279

Cavy Gazer
Hi I'm a new guinea pig owner, had them just over a month, I know if the wee is dry and orange/that's fine but I've found this while cleaning my guinea pigs cage and wondered if anyone knew anything about it? They are both 7 month old females, Thank you!

Attachments

20230117_203427.jpg
Last edited:
Your pig could be a bit dehydrated. Try giving lot of veggies such as flat-leaf parsley, romaine lettuce, bell peppers, carrots, and cucumbers.

Or, your guinea's water bottle could be a bit dirty. Empty out the bottle and add a few pumps of dish soap. Add a tiny bit of water and, it my sound weird, but add tablespoon of rice. Add the cap back on and shake the living HECK out of it lol 😅 empty it and wash it out EXTREMELY well (even the cap) before adding clean water back in.

It's been working for me for a while, just a little tip if you want to try it out 👍

As far as I can tell they are drinking well and eating their veggies well, I do my best to clean their bottle, however I will try that method thank you!

It's calcium deposits in the urine. You may be feeding too many calcium rich foods.

What kind of hay do your pigs get?

What brand of pellets, and how many?

What veggies do you feed?

I thought too much calcium produced a cloudy urine?

That's the dried crystals from the cloudy urine.

They have 1/8 cups in the morning and another in the evening of Science Selective Balanced Guinea Pig Food, a large supply of timothy and medow hay and a varied supply of veggies, celery, cucumber, carrot, tomatoes, broccoli, lettuce, kale, spinach, cabbage, etc, and the occasional fruit as a treat. Everything I give them I try my best to thoroughly research before they have them, so I know what to restrict or not give them at all. They also have a few treats they have occasionally, currently in the cage is a flower herb mix from an online guinea pig shop and a beetroot nibble pot. I thought it may be the beetroot nibble pot however it's orange not red​

To me it just looks like urine that has been sitting for some time and oxidised. The fleece doesn't seem to be allowing the urine to wick through to any absorbent layers, at lest in that particular spot.

To me it just looks like urine that has been sitting for some time and oxidised. The fleece doesn't seem to be allowing the urine to wick through to any absorbent layers, at lest in that particular spot.

I think the same, but if you have any doubts, I think it is always better to take them to a vet

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.