Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Can a crest come in later?

ghostieberry

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig had pups back in August, and just today i noticed that one of the pups has a bit of a cowlick on his head. It wasnt there before, but the hair just naturally separates. If i style it in the shape of a crest it definitely looks like he has one, but he's a teddy, so maybe that's why it was hard to see before? Yesterday i noticed it, but it ended up being that he'd just got some water up there, but now it looks like his fur is separated.

Is it possible he had one all along and i just didn't notice, or can they come in late? Or could this possibly be something else?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
For smooth hair guinea pigs the crest is there from the moment they are born and it is acutally really noticeable while they are still a little wet after being born.

I do have a rex guinea pig who I got at five weeks of age that has some rosettes. Her rosettes are almost completely obscured by her hair and you really have to look for them (except one on her dewlap that makes it look like she has a bald spot). I'm not sure if it was apparent she had rosettes when she was born, and I have lost contact with the previous owner (accidental litter).

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
One of my teddies only has a crest sometimes. I think the texture of teddy fur just makes it really hard to notice, but I can definitely give her one and I can definitely obscure it when I try to. She doesn't care either way

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.