Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss Cagemate died, how to keep pig company?

Newpiter

Cavy Slave
I had two guinea pigs, Newton and Jupiter. Unfortunately Newton passed away today because he was in a lot of pain and I didn?t want him to suffer. I can?t get another guinea pig anytime soon, due to cost and how many vet bills we have to pay, but in the meantime, I need to know of ways I can keep Jupiter company and happy since Newton is no longer with him. Thanks for any help! I don?t want my little guy becoming depressed and lonely. ):

joyknights

Cavy Slave
Daily fresh veggies and fruit is a good boredom breaker, as are simple things like tubes/tunnels, balls and things to hide in. Try to give her more attention now that she lost a companion. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. :sad:

Newpiter

Cavy Slave
Daily fresh veggies and fruit is a good boredom breaker, as are simple things like tubes/tunnels, balls and things to hide in. Try to give her more attention now that she lost a companion. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. :sad:

Thank you, I will for sure keep him stimulated and have him roam around my room as well.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I had two guinea pigs, Newton and Jupiter. Unfortunately Newton passed away today because he was in a lot of pain and I didn?t want him to suffer. I can?t get another guinea pig anytime soon, due to cost and how many vet bills we have to pay, but in the meantime, I need to know of ways I can keep Jupiter company and happy since Newton is no longer with him. Thanks for any help! I don?t want my little guy becoming depressed and lonely. ):

This link has some useful tips for helping to adapt a guinea pig to living alone after losing a cagemate: https://www.guinealynx.info/alone.html

joyknights

Cavy Slave
Keep us posted with the progress. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Newpiter

Cavy Slave
This link has some useful tips for helping to adapt a guinea pig to living alone after losing a cagemate: https://www.guinealynx.info/alone.html

Thanks so much, that link was very helpful, I gave it a look a few days ago.

So far Jupiter seems to be adjusting well, it only has been 5 days however. He is still eating and drinking normally and being his active and curious self. I?ll definitelly continue to keep a close eye on him should his behavior change.

Newpiter

Cavy Slave
Quick update! It's been a few weeks since Newton's passing, and Jupiter seems to be the happiest he's ever been. He's eating and drinking normally, and continues to love to roam around my room. I do plan on adopting a duo if he was ever to begin to feel lonely, but I have a feeling he's going to be fine on his own.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I'm glad he's doing well! :) If you do decide at some point to get him a new cagemate, it might be worth looking into rescues near you. Often rescues will let you do a "meet and greet" to help pair up your pig with a compatible cagemate.

Newpiter

Cavy Slave
I'm glad he's doing well! :) If you do decide at some point to get him a new cagemate, it might be worth looking into rescues near you. Often rescues will let you do a "meet and greet" to help pair up your pig with a compatible cagemate.

I actually have my eyes on two pigs I found on pet finder from the same rescue I found mine! I already got names for em too :'D

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I actually have my eyes on two pigs I found on pet finder from the same rescue I found mine! I already got names for em too :'D

Wait, isn't Jupiter a male? You should be aware that although it's possible to keep groups of females together, it's very rare for groups of boars to live together successfully. Boars are best kept either in pairs or as a single boar with one or more females (assuming either he is neutered or the ladies spayed).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.