Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Cage: Using Rice to Clean Water Bottle

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
Tip Type
Cage​
Tip Title
Using Rice to Clean Water Bottle​
Your Tip
Put a spoonful of rice in the bottle, add a bit of warm/hot water (not too much), plug the neck of the bottle with your hand, and shake the bottle well. Pour out the rice and water and rinse the bottle to remove remaining grains. Be careful to to get any rice in the spout part of the bottle, it is hard to remove. This method works very well for quickly removing the residue that accumulates on the inside of bottles.​
Where did you get the idea?
This forum or site​
Link to source of idea (optional)
-​
Permission to use your tip?
Yes​

Good idea! I'll have to try this tonight when I clean the bottles. Usually I just put a little soap in them and rinse them out really well.

I pour a little vinegar in when I clean the bottle, and no residue has built up in over 3 months of use. Vinegar will kill any germs in the bottle and spout, too.

I've used the rice idea to clean other small-necked bottles--a little soap, rice, a good shake, and almost anything comes clean! Who needs a bottle brush? ha

Wow that sounds like a good idea. I'll try it tomorrow morning when I change my pigs' water.

I tried it and it worked great! Thanks for the tip!

I am definitely going to try this when I clean Smudge's cage later. Thanks! i knew you used it with salt, but I have never heard of water bottles.Thanks again!!!

I am definitely going to try this when I clean Smudge's cage later. Thanks! i knew you used it with salt, but I have never heard of water bottles.Thanks again!!!

I've used salt in the past also.....

I used small stones. They dont stick like rice do. Faster to for multiple bottles.
I have to clean from 11-21 at a time. (this includes my back up bottles)

THanks! I like this idea and the vinegar one (but does the vinegar cause a change in the flavor of the water, even though it is rinsed out?) I have been struggling with cleaning their bottles for quite awhile! You use too much soap and you NEVER get the bubbles out of it!

I tried is today when I cleaned the botles and it worked great. Its a lot easier than a bottle brush and I hate to use bleach. Thanks for the tip!

I pour a little vinegar in when I clean the bottle, and no residue has built up in over 3 months of use. Vinegar will kill any germs in the bottle and spout, too.

I've used the rice idea to clean other small-necked bottles--a little soap, rice, a good shake, and almost anything comes clean! Who needs a bottle brush? ha

I was so going to ask a question about using vinegar to clean the bottle! I wish I would have seen this earlier yesterday when I was putting clean water in her bottle, I just ran hot water in it for now, but I will definately be using either vinegar or the rice method in the future.

Oh, this is a great idea! I'm definately going to try this tomorrow :)

Thanks for the great tip! I tried it yesterday when I cleaned out my boys' cage and it worked really well! Definitely going to be using this from now on.

I will so be using this tomorrow morning!!!! THANKS! :D

I will definitely be using this tip tonight! Thanks! :)

I use this method, only with paper towels or toilet paper.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.