Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Bathing/wiping/cleaning

Mousewife

Cavy Slave
Few questions:
How often do you bathe your piggies? What shampoo do you use?
Do you have a preferred wipe for keeping them clean, especially around the grease gland?

I find my boys usually need a wash 2-3 times a year. I haven’t found a shampoo that I like for them, so I use a small amount of Avon sensitive skin bubble bath. It is often used as a pet shampoo and my boys haven’t had any reaction to it.

I don’t have any preferred wipe and will occasionally use a neutrogena face wipe to clean around their bottoms. I don’t know if it’s a very good idea, though.

Thoughts, input, preferences appreciated.

Aznurf25

Cavy Gazer
I found this video from Scotty's Animals (so much great info on his site!) and I ended up purchasing the same exact shampoo and conditioner. They're from the dollar store, so even better!
1st - anti-fungal shampoo like Head and Shoulders
Then VO5 Extra Body Shampoo & Conditioner

I try not to give mine a bath too often, usually when they get extra smelly. I try to do it in the summer so it's not cold.

Watch his video and you'll learn more:

He also recommends: Davis Miconazole Pet Shampoo https://amzn.to/2ZpElHC

Hope that helps!

Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest

Cavy Slave
I like to use Mane and tail shampoo and conditioner. I find I have to bathe my pigs 2-3 times a year, like @Aznurf25

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I don't bathe my guinea pigs (have not had a need to). When they do need a little extra care from something like sitting in their pee, I use hypoallergenic dog wet wipes leftover from when I had a dog.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I don’t bathe mine on a regular basis. However, I did get the Davis Miconizole shampoo for Millie shortly after I adopted her.

She had the start of podermatitis and the ointment she was prescribed wasn’t clearing it up. Then she had some dry areas on her ears and I suspected she had a fungus. I checked with the vet and then ordered the Davis shampoo. I thought it was a good product. It lathers well and is gentle. The fungus cleared up in about a week.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Leo has had ongoing fungus issues. I've used the ointment with miconozole, and it helps but he has multiple patches and its very time consuming and stressful for him. So I bought Nizoral shampoo, and began bathing him with it once weekly. He's had four baths so far and hes come a LONG way.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Soaking with the shampoo really helps to get the layers of fungus off. I saw some videos by LA Guinea Pig Rescue and Cavy Central that showed how they treat fungus.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I just wanted to follow up here. Leo had his fourth bath in 5 weeks with Nizoral today. After he dried, this afternoon I checked him thoroughly. For the first time in a very long time, all of the scabby patches are gone. His skin is finally clear.