Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Boys or Girls?

Tunundary

Cavy Slave
I haven't had guinea pigs in about 6 years. I was hoping to get two guinea pigs some point in the near future, and a new cage. I had two females when I was growing up, but what pair would people suggest? I noticed that a lot of people have had trouble with males fighting for dominance.

In my personal opinion I prefer females just because males are more work. Also like you said some males are quite dominating and pairs can fight. I have a father and son pair right now that get along perfect. They NEVER fight. But I recently had to remove another male from their cage because he was picking on the little one. Females can fight as well. You could also look at either a neutered or a spayed female with the opposite sex and those pairings seem to work out well its just hard to find.

I'd probably go for two girls myself if I had a choice, just because they're a little easier to maintain (no impactions and other yuckiness to clean). However, I was pretty open to whatever piggies were up for adoption in my area and ended up with a boy. He was supposed to be a girl, but the shelter missexed him as they're more of a cat and dog place. I have a female, too, so he's probably going to get neutered so they can be together.

If you get a girl, beware of possible pregnancy. Fortunately, that shouldn't be much of a worry if you go with a reputable, knowledgeable rescue for get her from someone on Craigslist who knows the piggy they're giving away hasn't been near any males.

I personally prefer females. We have 4 girls and 1 boy. He has his own covered cage and he smells much worse and it just messy. We have 6 in coroplast sides on his cage too and he still flings poop out.

If you get a girl, beware of possible pregnancy.

When I had my first guinea pigs I was a kid. I started out with one and we decided to get her a friend. We made sure to check the sex of the pig at the store, but she was already pregnant. I'd thought she was just a lazy piggy and getting fat, but one morning I woke up and then there were four.

@jm_1234 I'm a bit worried about spaying/neutering even though Bob Barker tells me so. Isn't there risk of death?

LOL yes Bob Barker does say that! There is a risk but if you can find some that already have it done then there is no more risk, its just hard to find :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.