Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Both piggies with a cut/split on the ear

ohmypig!

Cavy Slave
Today I noticed that BOTH of my guinea pigs have tiny little cuts on their ears. It looks like their ear is split a little bit-like 1mm- which doesn't sound like much, but I noticed it. It wasn't there before. I touched the ears a bit, and the pigs didn't squirm- so I don't think there was any pain. I was wondering if it was a sign of vitamin deficiency or due to a fight? I haven't seen my pigs bite eachother, but I don't watch them all the time, so it could happen.

My former gp had a huge split in her ear- like 1 cm long. She was an adult rescue and came like that so I never knew how she got it. Does anyone know what could cause splits in the ear?

(broken link removed) Do the cuts on their ears look like the ones on this guinea pig??

YES, exactly! Do you know what that's from? Should I be concerned?

Don't worry! This is perfectly normal for guinea pigs, mine have had them too. I think they're born with it, but I was just looking up about it and couldn't find anything. :p

Don't worry! This is perfectly normal for guinea pigs, mine have had them too. I think they're born with it, but I was just looking up about it and couldn't find anything. :p
It's not "perfectly" normal nor are they born with split ears. These types of injuries happen usually from catching an ear on something sharp or from another pig biting the ear.

It's not "perfectly" normal nor are they born with split ears. These types of injuries happen usually from catching an ear on something sharp or from another pig biting the ear.

This is true, a few of my pigs have tiny nibbles on their ears from when my pigs were still figuring out the rankings.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.