Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Scabby Flaky Skin on Ear and Nose (2 Guinea Pigs)

LKSGpigs

Cavy Slave
Hello! I have two guinea pigs named Ramen (about 2.5 years) and Soup (around 2-3 months, tops). I got Soup from a local pet shop almost exactly a month ago after Noodles, Ramen's previous cage mate, passed away from a sudden upper respiratory infection. I didn't notice any health issues from either of them prior to introductions and they have been getting along quite well since I introduced them, aside from the normal "setting-the-hierarchy" routine and Ramen occasionally giving Soup some firm nips. I examine Soup closely after the light nips just in case, but there has not been any broken skin or injuries of any kind.

I noticed some flaky and scabbed-up-looking skin on Ramen's ear. I looked Soup over and found it on her nose. I would have noticed it sooner, but I have had a cold, so I have been keeping my distance to avoid getting them sick. They haven't been itching or acting lethargic, there's no discharge from their noses or eyes, no sneezing or coughing, and they are both eating and drinking just fine. I used a clean pair of tweezers to grab some of Soup's fur from the affected area (I read somewhere that it was a way to test for something fungal?) and it came right out with no resistance. I have yet to do the same with Ramen, but I predict it will yield the same result.

I suspect a kind of fungal infection. I read somewhere on here that OTC Monistat 7 is a good/safe treatment, but I have no idea how to apply it (especially on Soup's nose), how much to apply, how often to apply it, and I am terrified of something going wrong with using Monistat 7 and I end up losing another one. I have attached photos of the problems. (Ramen is the black one, Soup is the ginger and white Abyssinian) If someone could help me figure out what this is and how to treat it, that would be really great. I would take them to the vet, but the holidays, Noodles' emergency vet visit, her treatment, and her cremation cost altogether was a huge expense. IMG_4676.jpgIMG_4677.jpgIMG_4679.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello! I have two guinea pigs named Ramen (about 2.5 years) and Soup (around 2-3 months, tops). I got Soup from a local pet shop almost exactly a month ago after Noodles, Ramen's previous cage mate, passed away from a sudden upper respiratory infection. I didn't notice any health issues from either of them prior to introductions and they have been getting along quite well since I introduced them, aside from the normal "setting-the-hierarchy" routine and Ramen occasionally giving Soup some firm nips. I examine Soup closely after the light nips just in case, but there has not been any broken skin or injuries of any kind.

I noticed some flaky and scabbed-up-looking skin on Ramen's ear. I looked Soup over and found it on her nose. I would have noticed it sooner, but I have had a cold, so I have been keeping my distance to avoid getting them sick. They haven't been itching or acting lethargic, there's no discharge from their noses or eyes, no sneezing or coughing, and they are both eating and drinking just fine. I used a clean pair of tweezers to grab some of Soup's fur from the affected area (I read somewhere that it was a way to test for something fungal?) and it came right out with no resistance. I have yet to do the same with Ramen, but I predict it will yield the same result.

I suspect a kind of fungal infection. I read somewhere on here that OTC Monistat 7 is a good/safe treatment, but I have no idea how to apply it (especially on Soup's nose), how much to apply, how often to apply it, and I am terrified of something going wrong with using Monistat 7 and I end up losing another one. I have attached photos of the problems. (Ramen is the black one, Soup is the ginger and white Abyssinian) If someone could help me figure out what this is and how to treat it, that would be really great. I would take them to the vet, but the holidays, Noodles' emergency vet visit, her treatment, and her cremation cost altogether was a huge expense.View attachment 110210View attachment 110211View attachment 110209
I also have a guinea pig named Ramen! But if you can’t take them to the vet right away, you could try a bit of coconut oil on the flaky parts. It’s a great moisturizer and it can help encourage healing. Sometimes I use it on my senior guinea pig since her feet tend to dry out easier. I’ve also heard a bit about it having anti fungal properties, but I don’t know if it’s strong enough to help a fungal infection.

If the flaking persists even after moisturizing it for a day or two, definitely see a vet, especially if you notice a lot of dandruff.

I hope they get better soon!! : )

If you try the coconut oil, use the cold pressed kind. Coconut oil has both antibacterial and antifungal properties, but they're both destroyed by heating, and regular coconut oil has been heated.

The Monistat may be a better bet, especially around the nose. Apply a bit with a q-tip twice a day, and rub it in well so the animal doesn't ingest it when it cleans itself. You can take a look at the pictures of cheilitis at https://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html and see if your pig looks like any of those pigs. If so, you may need a vet visit because cheilitis can be more difficult to cure than a mild fungal infection.

If you try the coconut oil, use the cold pressed kind. Coconut oil has both antibacterial and antifungal properties, but they're both destroyed by heating, and regular coconut oil has been heated.

The Monistat may be a better bet, especially around the nose. Apply a bit with a q-tip twice a day, and rub it in well so the animal doesn't ingest it when it cleans itself. You can take a look at the pictures of cheilitis at https://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html and see if your pig looks like any of those pigs. If so, you may need a vet visit because cheilitis can be more difficult to cure than a mild fungal infection.
Thank you, will do!

I hope both of yours baby are better today!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.