Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding how long should I wait?? introducing boars

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
For a week my three boys had to live in a 2x4 c&c cage as I had to move them from their room into another one and didn't have time to make up one fast..they were fine in it...they'd happily live in a 2x4 but I have the space so they don't have to.

Though all three of my boys are de-sexed (as they would fight when they were in tact)...so that might have a big part to play.

Best of luck

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
I have a 3x4 cage that is more than functional enough for 3 males. I posted a picture on here, and could post it again if you would like Duke.

My introductions failed as well, in a ball of flying pig fur. Jellybean is a 4-5 year adoptee and Alfonz is a 10 month old pet store pig. Alfonz gets along with Marbles who is about 2.5 months old now, but I know that when Marbles is older I am going to have to make sure the two of my boys don't go at each other when Marbles hits puberty.

Jellybean is a loner pig now, and unfortunately, since he hasn't been more acceptable to introductions, which I've done several times, he will remain a loner pig, up above my other two boys.

Don't feel bad about not having done the research, things happen. I broke the taboo of quarantine also when I got Marbles, he went right in with Alfonz, because he wasn't supposed to be living with me, but my sister brought him over, and I was in such a dither because the boyfriend was angry, and Marbles was in a tiny little petstore cage, and I just plunked him right into Alfonz cage, and things were solidified between the two of them immediately. Sometimes, things don't go the way they are supposed to, but it all works out in the end. Keep an eye on the piggies and you will be perfectly fine.

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
Neutering doesn't generally change the attitudes of pigs, so that's not a solid rule, and if you don't have any females, and don't intend to get any, leave your pig boys intact.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
No, the smallest RECOMMENDED for three pigs is a 2x5, the smallest that is ACCEPTABLE as the "minimum" (set by the standards of this site, anyway) is 2x4.
I'm saying this simply because they are NOT bonded...meaning they'll need 2x5+ to make it work. According to this site. That's all I'm saying.
"Up to 2 adult guinea pigs comfortably. It varies a bit depending upon your group. This is the recommended cage size for two guinea pigs. Males typically need a bit more room than females and while this cage can work, we ideally recommend a 2x5 size for two males. It would be possible to house a well-bonded group of 3, but 4 would really pushing it in this size cage. Keep in mind with more guinea pigs in a smaller cage, it's also more work to keep it clean."

OP, you could always neuter your males and house them with females instead. May be easier than trying to pair them back up. :)

Last edited:

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
Neutering is sometimes risky OP, so if you are interested in doing that, make sure you do the research on neutering before making a decision on that one. Research is valuable when it comes to big decisions.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
@Melissa123 has neutered boys, she can give her input :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've gotten over 25 boys neutered and 1 girl spayed...with no problems. It's not risky if you're vet knows what they're doing. I've only ever had positives out of neutering boys.

If you can afford it then if you're boys don't get along at first I'd highly recommend de-sexing them as in MY experience it does help.

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
Everything carries risks, and the OP would still need to do ALOT of research before making the decision, like the research on a GOOD and PROPER veterinarian, and the pro's and con's of the operation. Research into the vet is the MOST important part of owning guinea pigs, and all of you should know this, and encourage it, as a vet who doesn't know what they are doing WILL have issues in a neuter of a small animal INCLUDING dogs.

OP Please make sure to do research, and find a good veterinarian and ask them all the very important questions about guinea pigs.

dukestyles

Cavy Slave
I am jot planning on getting any sows or neutering my boys. I will try another intro in the new year hopefully they won't be so randy anymore ;).
@alfonzpig I also have Blizzard in his cage above my boys and sometimes put the cage on the floor beside the other.

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
I have found that now that Jellybean is up top, he is MUCH more social with me. He gives me face nuzzles, and comes right up to the door when I open it. He is in a 2x3 C&C all his own lol. He has a little castle tower up there lol. As an older pig, I don't like stressing him, and cant have him neutered at this age safely in my opinion, so a sow isn't an option for him either.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I've merged your two threads. Given the history of your boars, I would not put them together in a 2x4 cage.
While 2x4 cage can work for some groups of 3 pigs, I don't think it will work in your situation.
Waiting until the pigs are older and out of their hormonal stage is a good idea.

Last edited:

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
Space for pigs is something that I ended up increasing many, many times over the past few months. Since moving into my apartment in May I have done 5 space upgrades for my spoiled, spoiled pigs lol. As I said, Marbles and Alfonz live happily in a 3x4 cage, and Jellybean has a 2x3 and it works out really well for me, but Alfonz was already 9 months old when Marbles came around, and Jellybean is just a guinea pig jerk lol.

I am sure that in the future, when hormones are less dominating you will have better success for them.

dukestyles

Cavy Slave
Blizzard does the same thing!! Rarely ever runs and is always calling at me :) its so cute.@lissie thanks I wasn't sure exactly which to post my thread :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.