Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Noticed pulled fur in the cage!!??

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So, tonight as I am sweeping up the boys cage, I noticed a bit of pulled hair from 2 of the piggies. I am guessing one of my older boars (Guinea) is doing this to the other 2 boys as I didn't see any of his pulled fur on the fleece. Guinea and Guinness have been having a few issues with each other since I added Chewy to the group. I've never seen this before and I am hoping it doesn't get worse. Just wanted to know if anyone has dealt with this first hand? Is this normal or should I be worried? I already am in alert mode since Chewy is deaf and the older boys want to pick on him. He seems like he doesn't mind; eating, drinking, and popcorns as a happy piggy should. I just don't want this is get out of hand. They have a very large c&c cage (45 sq. ft.) if anyone was wondering. Would love some feedback, if possible. Thanks :) Noticed pulled fur in the cage!!??

Jeez, Big cage! I would love your size cagelol And cute piggies! And my girls have pulled fur from my newest arrival to the herd, Not so much anymore(They relized(sp?)that she isn't going anywhere, So they pretty much stopped) but I still monitor them just in case they start it up again. I would watch and see what they do. It should die down, Here's something from the social life artical (You probably already read this but) "
Noticed pulled fur in the cage!!??
Teeth chattering: sustained (signal of anger, aggression, warning)
Nips, light bites, may result in little tufts of fur in their teeth
Wide yawn, but this is no yawn, they are showing their teeth
Snorting (like a strong puff or hiss)
" Or if you want to read it for yourself, Guinea Pigs Social Life About half way down the page is all dominance and other things to look for. Like i said you might of already read this:crazy:

They have there own room, so that's why I was able to make it so large. :D I am planning on adding 2 more young boars with them as well within the month. Do you think my cage will be large enough for everyone to get along? I am pretty sure it will, but would love other opinions :) Hoping that will lessen the bullying from the older boys that Chewy is getting. They both are in love with him! Chewy is currently in a tunnel while Guinea is guarding one end and Guinness is at the other end. Ha. Guinea and Guinness was chattering at each other for a while but it seems to be getting better as the days pass. I have yet to see any one nip at each other, but judging by the fur I found, it has to be happening!

I think a 45 sq. ft cage will be big enough for 5 males, Make sure to add pictures of your new boys when you get themlol I would say, Maybe they are going through puberty? I think it usually starts at 6 months, Then ends at 12 months? I will have to see again,I hope someone will help you out with more stuff!:D

Well, my two older boars are way past that. Guinness is 2.5 years old and Guinea is at least 3. I adopted him from a co-worker a year ago and said he was full grown when she got him (she had him for 2 years). Chewy is about 5 months and is fully 'developed' down there. Lol.

Noticed pulled fur in the cage!!??I was weighing everyone and doing a check over and I found this on Guinness! Is this what your girls did? I didn't noticed any blood and I even did a quick check over yesterday when I first saw the fur around the cage. I thought Guinea and Guinness were getting better together but today they were chattering seemed to intensify. It only lasted for about 10 seconds but it was much louder than I've ever heard them before. Everyone is still together and doing fine for now. I just want everyone to get along and not bully one another. I am prepared to have them separated but would love to have them all be a happy piggy family :sad:

If they were mine I wouldn't separate them as of yet. The cage is plenty large enough, but there's always a chance that a couple of them just won't get along if they are both intent on being the dominant one. Did you mention how long they've been together?

I would take out all hiding places that they can get trapped in, like pigloos. Make sure all houses have two entrances. I like to use tunnels and tubes and upturned cardboard boxes with multiple doors cut into them. You might want to make two different kitchen areas as well.

They actually were all separated for 2 weeks because Guinness had to recover from his bladder stone removal surgery. Guinea couldn't handle being with out Guinness and was always chasing Chewy around and would not let him eat or drink. So, they all have been together again for about 2 weeks now. I should add that Guinness and Guinea were just fine with each other before adding Chewy to the mix. I know that some boars just won't do well together, that's one of the reasons my cage is so large. I did take away all pigloos and they now have 4 tunnels and 3 cuddle cups but they are still doing this. It's always right after one of them go near Chewy. I will definitely be making another kitchen area, thanks! :)

If they were mine I wouldn't separate them as of yet. The cage is plenty large enough, but there's always a chance that a couple of them just won't get along if they are both intent on being the dominant one. Did you mention how long they've been together?

I would take out all hiding places that they can get trapped in, like pigloos. Make sure all houses have two entrances. I like to use tunnels and tubes and upturned cardboard boxes with multiple doors cut into them. You might want to make two different kitchen areas as well.
This morning I found another, larger spot where Guinea Nipped/ pulled fur on his nose/ face, ( I will post a pic as soon as I can). I separated them with grids so they can still see each other. Every day I seem to find something new and it seems like it's getting worse. In the amount of time it took me to get the grids ready to separate the cage they were chattering at each other and swaying their bums at each other and they both were no where near chewy. :( I don't want poor Guinness to keep having new nip marks on him everyday. What would you suggest? Try them again, keep Guinea by himself, or get him a new younger friend? They all are doing fine through the grids, btw.

Noticed pulled fur in the cage!!??Noticed pulled fur in the cage!!??Sorry, I had a hard time taking the picture and moving his fur away from the area. Do you think I should be cleaning it with anything? I've never had this issue before, so I'm not sure what to use and I know you can't use a few disinfectant on piggies.

Two things could have contributed to this--one, the separation because of the surgery, and two, the addition of a new pig. Do you have all three in their own separate spots? Is there one of the older boys that does well with Chewy?

There is certainly no problem keeping them in their own spaces, as long as the spaces are large enough and the pigs can see each other.

Two things could have contributed to this--one, the separation because of the surgery, and two, the addition of a new pig. Do you have all three in their own separate spots? Is there one of the older boys that does well with Chewy?

There is certainly no problem keeping them in their own spaces, as long as the spaces are large enough and the pigs can see each other.
That's what I figured. I have Guinness and Chewy together and they both seem a lot happier. Guinea is on his own for now. I was able to just separate their huge cage right in the middle. So, everyone can still interact with eachother, but can not do much damage through the grids (they haven't been fighting through the grids, though). Guinness is very protective over Chewy whenever Guinea comes to say 'Hi' to them. I am considering getting Guinea another young boy so he has company. Thank you so much for the help! :D

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.