Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General C&C Cage

Gotta_Love_Em

Cavy Slave
I am building my first C&C cage and I'm just wondering if anyone has any useful tips to make the task easier when building, to clean it out, etc?

Thank you!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Cages without second levels are easier to clean out than those with ramps. You can also consider whether it's easier for you to clean out a cage that's on the floor or slightly elevated. I use two fleece pads in my cages so I can lift one out at a time and clean that half while my pigs move to the other side. They never have to leave the cages when I clean which makes it much easier and faster.

CrazyMom

Cavy Slave
If you have a closed cage make sure your doors allow you to reach all areas of the cage. I made this mistake with my first cage, the door wasn't big enough and cleaning/ catching was a huge problem. On my second cage I used barn style doors so I can just slide the trays out for cleaning and have access to the whole cage!

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Use lots of zip ties! I've found that the connectors that come with the cubes are not always very secure.

Gotta_Love_Em

Cavy Slave
Thank you Everyone! I was in fact thinking about how i was going to put doors on it, and i didnt realize zip ties can make hinges. Im so excited to build the cage and let my gpigs explore it!

PattyPie

Cavy Slave
On our 2X4 CC cage we have a hinged lid on both ends. It makes daily clean up SO easy. When our cage was only 2X3 we had a hinged lid on only one end. It was so hard to reach the other end!

Gotta_Love_Em

Cavy Slave
C&C Cage

Finally finished the cage and it works great, my pigs absolutely love it. Thank you everyone for your advice, I took it all into consideration while building. There are lots of zipties for extra support and both levels have a door that spans all three squares for easy access and cleaning!

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Looks great! I bet you've got some happy piggers!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.