Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea HELP - SEVERE DIARRHEA mushys poops

I think we can all sympathize with your frustrations.

The thing is, with these furry little creatures, you really have to be persistent. They aren't hardwired to understand that you are helping, they are hardwired to avoid the big scary thing that is looming over them and is probably going to eat them soon. That is how many of them view us, especially new pigs.

Just keep forcing the meds on her. One of my sows loved her antibiotics, but gave me the hardest time with her probiotics. I forced her to take them daily, and she definitely didn't want to snuggle with me after, but she got over it (both the cold and my treatment).

Basically, I'm saying keep it up. Buttercup may not understand, but you're doing what is best for her. Once she is all better, give her some extra veggies at lap time to make amends.

One time my pig had diarrhea ,i buy probiotics in holland and barret,and they help!highly reccomendet!
[h=2][/h]

You're ascribing way too much thought process to your guinea pig. Just hold her down and force feed her and don't worry about it. You wouldn't let a child dictate to you whether or not to give it needed medicine, would you? Then don't do it for the pig.

It doesn't matter whether the pig likes it or not. She needs it. Getting the syringe to the back of her mouth is the key to the whole thing, and you'll get much better at it as time goes on.

I know Buttercup needs her meds., but I understand how you feel. I hate giving meds. to my pets and most of them were cats and dogs with much bigger mouths. You have had a long haul and would probably feel better about giving the flagyl and probiotics if you were seeing some real improvement. I wish I could be more like bpatters and just do what had to be done without worrying and stressing about it. Hang in there and hopefully it won't be for much longer.

How has her poops been? Any improvement at all? Even my husband is asking how Buttercup is doing and we have both been humming her "song". I don't think I will ever hear that song without thinking of your little Buttercup.

Thanks, Delaine. You hit the nail right on the head. It breaks my heart having to "roughhouse" her to give her the meds in the first place, and even more so when it doesn't even seem like they're making that much of a difference. Still, I know it's my job to do it as her mommy, no matter how unpleasant it may be. As for her poos, they have been pretty awful. As in, change-the-fleece-every-day-because-there-is-poop-smeared-everywhere awful. I think that the problem is compounded by their being in a slightly smaller cage and as well as my not being able to pick up after every single poo immediately after it comes out like I can when I'm at school (their cage is next to my desk). All in all, conditions are pretty miserable.

She has still been squeaking while pooing, which you can see in this video that I just took. It is so sad hearing her squeak like that. (Also, don't be fooled by those nice looking turds that she is standing next to - they are Piggy's) The cage looks so clean because I just changed the fleece, but I will take a picture first thing tomorrow morning so you can see what it looks like after just 12 hours.

On a more positive note, as per a suggestion on Guinea Lynx, I am now giving Buttercup Kyo-dophilus and acidopilus probiotics instead of the Bene-bac. I tried out the Kyo-dophilus tonight by sprinkling the powder onto some lettuce and she didn't seem to notice/mind that it was even there. Here's to hoping that it stays that way!

[video=youtube;_f3VUnnxjM0]

Here is a picture of a poo. If it's even possible, I almost think they got even mushier after starting her on the Bene-bac?

HELP - SEVERE DIARRHEA mushys poops

These poops are so green. The small one reminds me of a caterpillar. Is that from the pellets? I remember you saying they were very green. At least last week you had a couple of promising days to keep up your spirits and give you some hope.

Sorry! The poops are actually not that green. The flash was on in that picture and I think some of the light reflected the color off of the fleece. Here is a non-flash picture of a different turd, and this one is a little less mushy too.

Strangely enough, Bcup's poos are looking much better today.

Is it too soon for the kyodophilus to be working? The stools are looking so much better. Judi from the Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue said on the GL forum

My health food store manager told me the Kyodophilus capsules, even when taken apart, live in the stomach acid because they are specially treated. I didn't know that. I have seen a big difference in my one guinea pig's poop since using that instead of my other probiotic. I don't know if guinea pig stomach acid is the same as human, though.

so I think that I am just going to give Buttercup the kyodophilus and return the acidophilus capsules that I bought. Trying not to get my hopes up too much...

I was afraid to reply to your posting last night. I didn't want to jinx you and Buttercup. Thanks for the promising picture.

No good news to report. This morning there was a massive clump of mushy poo that had gotten stepped on and mixed in with hay. It was the size of a post-it note.

Haven't heard from you for a few days. How are you and Buttercup doing?

What are they saying over at GL?

Has a culture been done yet? That would immediatly inform you of the cause and best course of treatment if this truly is an intestinal bug.

I hope everything is okay on your end. After reading through this thread, I'm getting worried with your lack of recent updates.

I hope everything is okay on your end. After reading through this thread, I'm getting worried with your lack of recent updates.

Me too!!!!!!

Yes, Buttercup I hope your doing better..

Hi, sorry for the long time between updates and for being MIA these past couple of days. The truth is I've been getting rather depressed about the whole situation and feeling like it's never going to end. She is still squeaking as they come out, and they are just so long and mushy. Buttercup only has a week and a half left on this last course of Flagyl, so I am just going to finish her off on that and if her poos are still the same (which at this point I'm assuming they will be) bring her back to the vet to do a culture.

Hi, sorry for the long time between updates and for being MIA these past couple of days. The truth is I've been getting rather depressed about the whole situation and feeling like it's never going to end. She is still squeaking as they come out, and they are just so long and mushy. Buttercup only has a week and a half left on this last course of Flagyl, so I am just going to finish her off on that and if her poos are still the same (which at this point I'm assuming they will be) bring her back to the vet to do a culture.

Oh poor you, and poor Buttercup too :( Seems like there are still lots of people here still thinking about the two of you and wishing you well :) I know it seems like it's gone on for a long, long time, but you've got to try to not to let it get you down, for Buttercup's sake, she's depending on you not to give up on her, keep your chin up eh!
Have you been in touch with your vet? if they are good at what they do then they will have no problem answering your queries over the phone and I have found the really good ones actually like to have you give them updates on how the patient is doing in between appointments. Is there any reason to wait? It might do you good to grab the bull by the horns and phone to ask your vet what they think, and if the Flagyl isn't working, what they think they'll do next, the sooner the cultures are done the sooner you and B/cup might have an answer :)
I know it's hard right now, but just keep thinking how good it will be when you first have some cuddle time with your happy healthy girl in your lap, or scampering around for floor time :)

Hi Ech90: It is so good to hear from you. I am sorry things haven't improved, but there are a lot of us that really care how Buttercup and YOU are doing. I know how hard it is to have to deal with a sick animal every day. I am sure most of us have been there, I know I have. Hang in there. I check in every day to see if you have left an update.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.