Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Level of Effort? Pros and cons of having a guinea pig

zaylea

Cavy Slave
BUT, a dog is so much more work! You have to give them plenty of exercise or they become hyper, you have to bring them outside several times a day to do their business, you have to feed them a great quality diet, you have to train them constantly, and you have to spend huge amounts of time with them. I'm not saying it isn't worth it to have a dog, but dogs are in fact a lot more work than piggies.

I think that's really dependent on the breed. I have two greyhounds. They get 3 15 min walks/day, and 2 meals/day, and an annual checkup. Other than that, they are content to just lay in the same room with me, chewing on a toy now and then. A frozen stuffed kong really tires them out. I'd say the pigs are more "work" because walking the dogs is pleasant, but sweeping up pig poop is not.

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
My pigs don't really chew. Gumball will sometime nibble on paper, newspaper or the occasional paper towel roll we put in but other than that, they're not destructive. They rarely bite at the bars, but never hard.

We had gerbils once and OMG they chewed and chewed... the sound of it would drive you crazy...

Pretty Piggies

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs do require space, time, special food, hay, and vegetables. They require almost constant care, such as picking up the poop. They can require very expensive vet bills.

I have seen the normal pros on here. Cute, nice, cuddly, etc. But seriously? They are a shoulder to cry one so willingly (more like a body!), they are so photogenic, they love to explore, they sqeek so cutely and crazily!, you can make an EXTREME habitat for them, they are VERY unique, each one is as different as people come different, you can dress them up, their potbellies, and so much more. I would tell ANYONE to get them if you have the time, money, and space...and a heart ready to be happy!

Rayvn

Cavy Slave
Hmm interesting pros/cons people! As someone considering pigs this is good info.

I'm currently fostering 3 young rabbits right now, what do you think the level of care/cost/time compare to the three large breed rabbits? They are supposed to be litter trained and do only pee in the litter bin...but they poop constantly and all over the place. I think the main difference would be veggies, since these guys can't really have any yet (they're too young) but I buy veggies regularly anyway.

Oh, and how destructive are pigs? These rabbits are huge trouble-makers chewing on our clothes, carpet, etc.

Well, I don't currently have any large breed rabbits (I have a netherland dwarf, which is one of the smaller breeds), but I do have a rabbit and a piggy so I'll tell you the major differences. My bunny is really good about not chewing on me/my clothes/my stuff, but I was taking care of a baby mini rex rabbit about a year and a half ago that chewed on everything. The carpet, my clothes (she ruined three shirts) , the accessories in her cage, and basically everything she could get her mouth on. I think the big thing with rabbits is age, but I've only cared for a few rabbits so I really have no idea. With my piggy, on the other hand, he has never really chewed on anything. When I let him out for floor time he leaves even the most tempting fabric alone, and aside from a duct tape craze (he chewed up a lot of the duct tape that holds his cage together) and a few nibbles on my finger (I wasn't being careful when feeding him veggies), he hasn't really been a chewer. One of the primary reasons I've seen people choose guinea pigs over rabbits is the fact that rabbits tend to chew things into oblivion and guinea pigs don't.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Rabbits do chew more than GPs! And age does have a bit to do with it but not much... Over all I would say rabbits are way more work than GPs. Less on diet, more on "rabbit proofing" and training. Rabbits are more cat like while guinea pigs are more rodent like in terms of care requirements.

Are your rabbits fixed? If they are too young for veggies they are probably not is my guess. Once they are fixed they should stop sent marking with their poo.

Last edited:

SparklePony

Cavy Slave
I agree they are loyal like a dog would be and love social interaction.

No, I don't see this at all. Guinea pigs really could care less who takes care of them, as long as someone does. They certainly like the person who brings the veggies the best.

The social interaction they love is with their own species.

I am the primary care giver and cuddler of the pigs. I feed them daily and clean their homes, yet Mo responds to my boyfriends whistles and voice and ignores me half the time because my bf is usually the "treat giver". Sigh

KK_621

Cavy Slave
Yeah, my rabbits aren't quite fixed yet. We're actually fostering them until they're old enough (which means they go back this weekend I believe!)

I'm sure age had something to do with it. When mama was here she NEVER chewed inappropriately and was such a sweetie. But I think once she left the little ones decided to try things out for themselves :p.

Well, yesterday I found a deal for 36 C&C grids/40 connectors, so I think the winner will be the first rabbit/guinea pig pair that really grabs my heart :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.