Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming From A to Z on Grooming my Peruvians

*Marie*

Cavy Slave
I would like any tips anyone can offer on grooming Peruvian Guinea Pigs please.

Bathing

I have never had long-haired GPs before and would like to know everything there is to know about grooming.

How do I go about their first baths? Should i bathe them in the bathtub, or the sink where there is less space for them to run around?

Is there a specific brand of shampoo you would recommend? If ever I cannot find that brand, any specific ingredients I should look for or avoid?

What is the best way to keep them calm and lower their stress level while bathing?

Brushing/Trimming Hair

How often should I brush their hair?

What would be best to brush their hair? Would a comb or brush for babies work?

How do you usually keep their hair (short, medium, long)?

How do you know when it's time to trim their hair (other reasons that just being too long)?

What technique is best for trimming?

Nails

What do you use to trim their nails?

How often do you need to do it?

What is the best method?

Thank you for any tips and advice you may have to offer. Tips on anything I may have forgotten to ask would be very much appreciated as well!

Thanks!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Cavies really rarely if ever need bathing, at most only once every few months. I would recommend Four Paws Bunny Bath. No human shampoos. No shampoos with pesticides or medications. Long haired pigs are better off when you keep their bums trimmed rather short so pee, poo and other debris doesn't get stuck in it. It also wouldn't hurt to keep their sides trimmed so it isn't dragging the ground.

If you go to the index for this forum section and use the drop down boxes just before the threads start, you can search specific prefixes related to these subjects to get answers on how to bathe. It will also help to get you aquainted with doing searches for frequently asked questions.

Long haired pigs need brushed daily.

Nail trimming should be done every 3-4 weeks. You can use human clippers, baby clippers or clippers for small animals. I find in my personal experience that cat nail clippers work well. For dark nails have someone help you by shining a flashlight under the nail so you can see where the quick is.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.