Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How can you tell a Satin?

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
At our last piggie check up, the vet said that Smarkey had the glossiest coat she had ever seen. The children took this to mean that we have a very discerning and wise vet and I mentally thought "I bet you say that to all the pigs". But now that I'm back home I keep worrying that the glossy coat might mean she is a Satin.

Smarkey has never had any health problems. Am I just being neurotic? Is there anything else I should be checking for?

Pretty much all I know about satins is the hair/fur should be silky smooth and fairly glossy. Not quite sure of what other things could determione whether or not it is a satin.

Satin's are usually easy to tell if you've seen one or a picture. Someone on GL says they 'look like they swallowed a flashlight'. They really do glow, especially around their nose. I was worried for a while there that my TSW (but mainly black) American was a satin because she is glossy and quite shiny, but I've quit worrying since she doesn't really 'glow' if that makes sense.

Look at the satins on these links Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Coat Types and Guinea Lynx :: Topic - What Kind of a Guinea Pig is That? (Breeds and Varieties). Does your pig look anything like them?

Last edited:
I think short of genetic testing there's nothing you can really be doing. And I don't know that the conditions satins are predisposed to are actually preventable in the first place. I have a satin and there's nothing wrong with her, so even if your pig is a satin you aren't doomed!

She doesn't actually glow in the way that some of the pigs in those pictures do. She does look a bit like some of the less glowing ones in those links but I think that flash photography will affect the appearance of the pigs in those photos. I think she is just healthy and glossy.

I know that, even if she were a satin, the potential problems couldn't be prevented. I think I am just a worrier by nature! (The first time I read about roans I started to worry that our silver agouti was a roan, then realised that as we're never going to breed it doesn't affect us)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.