Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many Teeth Do Guinea Pigs Have?

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
LoL, How many teeth do guinea pigs have? Wierd question, I know. But my dad and I are wondering.

Josephine

Cavy Slave
No one replied? 20: 4 incisors, 4 premolars, and 12 molars.

ILovePiggies

Cavy Slave
~lol that is a funny question! I thought they had six , silly me =P~ ~c~

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I didn't know guinea pigs had premolars.. I wonder if licorice would mind opening his mouth for me. Do they loose baby teeth at all? I know their teeth continue to get long all their life but so do horses teeth and they loose all their beginning teeth throughout the first 5yrs of their life.

Josephine

Cavy Slave
Nope. They continually grow, so they don't have any distinct "sets" of teeth. They don't normally lose them, just grind them down. Loss is only through problems (e.g. trauma). I would think cavies grow through their initial teeth fairly soon--certainly by the six month mark, if I was assuming stuff, but you'd have to ask a veterinary dentist to be sure.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Here is a quote from https://guinealynx.info/teeth.html:

"Guinea pigs have 20 teeth: a pair of upper and lower incisors, no canines (instead, a gap called the diastema), a pair of upper and lower premolars, and 3 pairs of upper and lower molars. These teeth are "open rooted" and grow continuously. In a healthy guinea pig, the biting, chewing and grinding of food (especially hays, grasses, and abrasive foods) will normally keep the teeth at the proper length -- a length which varies somewhat from one guinea pig to another."

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! :)

Treen

Cavy Slave
aqh88 said:
I didn't know guinea pigs had premolars.. I wonder if licorice would mind opening his mouth for me.

I bet he certainly would mind! You can't see these teeth without special equipment (either to separate the jaws and cheeks, or a special camera on a tube called an otoscope) because they're set so far back and are also hidden by their cheeks - the buccal fat pads, which allow them to chew food without ingesting it. Definitely one to leave to the experts!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.