Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Cleaning a white guinea pig?

falling_moon

Cavy Slave
My white guinea pig, Ice, has developed some staining on his bottom and lower stomach from laying in his urine. I also discovered he was urinating a lot inside his hidey-house, where he sleeps. I have not observed this behavior before this, it seems to have just recently started. So, my first question is: is there a way to restore his usual bright white color? And along with that, what method should I use to do so?

I was also wondering if this behavior could somehow be linked to his cagemate's recent death? I'm adopting him a new brother tomorrow, so no worries there. Other than him laying in his urine, there appear to be no other problems. His weight is normal, he's still eating and drinking, and his personality has remained the same. Let me know what you think on that. Thank you!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can certainly try giving him a "butt bath" as it were. It's entirely possible that he's mourning the passing of his cagemate, and is lonely and bored and can't be bothered getting up as much as he used to. I'm actually going through something similar, but my remaining pig is also ill so it's a bit different.

As long as his weight is normal, just keep an eye on him.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Both of our boys have pretty much always gone in the corners of their hidey houses ...I always assumed it was a marking thing, or maybe they do it at night because they don't want to leave their houses then.

I wish I could help you more! I've never had expierance with a mourning piggy or having it stain their fur. ( Robin Hood is mostly black but Friar Tuck has a completely white belly so I know i would see it ) We use carefresh bedding so maybe that helps? Maybe you could add some just in his hidey houses, ours love to burrow and snuggle in it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.