Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hiding How to tame a shy/skittish female piggie?

PeachandDaisy

Cavy Slave
If you've read some of my other posts you know that I adopted two female siblings about 3 weeks ago, since then they have established dominance, converted to new pellets and hay, and one of the piggies (Daisy) is tame.
Daisy will let me pet her and she comes up to me and will just chill by me. However, Peach is MUCH more skittish and shy then Daisy and I fear that she'll never be tame :( I've looked at a lot of taming youtube videos and tried the tips but nothing seems to work. I can feed her by hand, but as soon as I let the food go she'll take off and run into her hideout to eat it.
Any tips would be great.. If any of you have tamed really skittish piggies please tell me what tips you used!

Thanks guys!!!

Hi PeachandDaisy!
Taming guinea pigs takes time, weeks, months, even years, since all guinea pigs have different personalities. All you can do is be gentle, hand feed them, let them get used to your presence, and don't pet them if they don't want to be pet.
I have a piggy who used to be very skittish, and would always stay far away from us, she is now our friendliest guinea pig, and constantly crawls out for love (and lettuce, they way to a pigs heart IS through it's stomach, after all ;D)
Best of luck in your piggy-taming ventures, and remember the most important things are food and patience!

My Zoe is almost he same. I can hand feed her but she snatches the food from my hand. Course she is only two months old. Just keep doing what you are doing, she should come out of her shell. Don't give up, like people, they have different personalities as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.