Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Level of Effort? How often to clean cage

Shannon563

Cavy Slave
How often do you guys or should I clean my guinea pig's cage?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Re: Main thread

Depends on the size, number of pigs, and type of bedding you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pouty

Cavy Slave

I have 3 guinea pigs on fleece, I spot clean every day (once or twice) and switch out the fleece every 3 days, sometimes 4.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave

I have 9 sows in one cage, I spot clean a minimum of 2x a day (in the morning and before bed time) and if I have time in the afternoon. I wash the fleece once a week.

It depends on how many piggies and how big your cage is. I would at least spot clean 2x a day.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

I have three boars on fleece. Spot cleaning is done countless times per day and fleece is removed and replaced every 48 hours.

equinox96

Cavy Slave

I have 2 boars and one is a heavy drinker so he is a heavy bed wetter!! In the morning, I replace the wet fleece pads with fresh fleece where they slept most and sweep up poo. I spot clean again after work when I give them their supper and again before I go to bed. I do a complete fleece change twice a week.

There kitchen area gets scooped where I see wet spots and change about every other week, it's wood pellets.

I will admit though, that I have a hard time tolerating poo in their cage, so I can't walk by without sweeping but it takes less than a minute.

lisa325

Cavy Slave

To be honest, quite often when I'm home on a daily basis, but I find it works better for us, and keeps things nice and clean for the pigs. I only change their big fleece liner every 2 weeks as it stays nice and clean, because I use extra pads in their sleep/resting areas :). I use wood pellets in their kitchen area, and they're a godsend, best thing ever :).

jaycriae

Cavy Slave

I'm very jealous of all you fleece-users. Spot-cleaning is so difficult on Carefresh.

My answer is a full clean around once a week for 3 sows in a 2x5, but my spot cleaning also consists of replacing large amounts of the bedding. Also, sometimes they randomly have a grosser week than usual and I have to change the schedule. (pretty sure it's because of the same reason I can't use fleece- odeta's tendency not to engage in enough coprophagy. sigh)

lisa325

Cavy Slave

@jaycriae I hear you on the carefresh, I used it in the kitchen area for a while, and it although it was pretty good at odor control I found myself constantly scooping out the wet spots and picking out poops. The pigs also tended to kick it out onto their main fleece area, and that was a pain to clean off. It gets pricey too eh.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave

@jaycriae I hear you on the carefresh, I used it in the kitchen area for a while, and it although it was pretty good at odor control I found myself constantly scooping out the wet spots and picking out poops. The pigs also tended to kick it out onto their main fleece area, and that was a pain to clean off. It gets pricey too eh.

Oh, absolutely. It's easily the most expensive thing about my pigs. (Although Petco had a New Years sale and we stocked up on it, which helped some.)

Mine kick it everywhere too, I have to sweep it and the hay off my floor every couple days. I do love putting them in right after a full clean, though, because they haven't packed it down yet and they sink into it like snow. It's very cute and silly.

Shannon563

Cavy Slave

So, I use shavings for the bedding in my Guineas cage. An I've been dealing with bad odor coming from the cage. An I read somewhere that I could sprinkle some baking soda at the bottom of the cage then put the shavings over it. Is that safe for them? Does that sound right? Any advice.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

PigsandPugs

Cavy Slave

Doe anyone use fleece in their kitchen area? I use fleece in a 4.5× 3.5 grid cage with careresh hay boxes for 2 sows.. I find I waste so much hay and am constantly picking through carefresh. I sometimes just use a layer of newspaper and lots of hay , then throw it out every day. Either way there is a lot of waste. I spot clean fleece all the time and change out pee pads/sacks once or twice a day anyway ( I work from home ), so the work is not a big issue, more the waste. The pigs do seem to love sitting in litter boxes though, (sigh). Any suggestions?

PigsandPugs

Cavy Slave

Shannon563, I have heard baking soda in bottom is safe, but I also feel 'iffy' about it. Personally I have not found it helpful when I tried it a few times :(.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I used shavings, the first time I had guinea pigs for about a month and couldn't stand the smell and that was with cleaning the cage about every 4-5 days, then I went to using only fleece pads and I do a complete cage cleaning every Saturday and spot clean 1-2 times a day. I also use fleece in the Hayloft area.

PigsandPugs

Cavy Slave
Do you just use mangers in hayloft or actual piles of hay on yhe fleece?

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I use a Hay box similar to the Heart buffet box just bigger and very little Hay spillage on the fleece.

Shannon563

Cavy Slave
I know this is an old thread.. But I'd like to announce that both of my guinea pigs have passed away..

Sent from my LGL82VL using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, Shannon. What happened to the poor little things?

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
I know this is an old thread.. But I'd like to announce that both of my guinea pigs have passed away..

Sent from my LGL82VL using Tapatalk

Oh my, I am so sorry! :sad::love:

PigsandPugs

Cavy Slave
That is heartbreaking. My thoughts are with you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.