Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allergies I think i have guinea pig allergies...

Selenaah

Cavy Slave
So ive had carl and Gene for over a year(for carl almost a year for gene) and the past few weeks i think ive had allergies to then and the hay...
Its gotten to the point where I cant put hay in their cage if im home, so I have to leave the house for atleast an house several times a day so they can have some.. I cant pick them up anymore because it makes it hard to breath, and thats really hard because they(carl more so because I only adopted gene so carl would have a friend) are my support animals for my anixety. I'm going to the doctors in about two weeks to get a check up and I'll be talking to the doctor about it to see if I have any alternatives then putting them up for adoption. i really dont want to but its not fair to them that I cant give them their hay as much as they need or the attention.
Is there any tips you have for me that I can try?
and if possible any options for adoption.(its my last resort.. but if i need to i dont want to put them in a shelter unless its impossible to find a home)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's far more likely the hay than the guinea pigs. They're pretty non-allergenic.

You can test that out by buying small quantities of bluegrass/orchard grass/meadow grass and see if those cause the reaction. If it's only respiratory, sniff them and see (one at a time, you don't want to confuse the issue). If it's a contact allergy, then rub a bit of each kind of hay on the inside of your arm and see what happens.

If you get a reaction, I'd bribe/pay/beg/whatever someone to thoroughly clean the cage for you, bathe the pigs and all the stuff that's in the cage, and then switch to the new hay.

It would be worth trying that before you decide you have to rehome them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.