Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Does your guinea pig sometimes look dead when he/she is sleeping?

• Thread starter Lord Pigwidgeon
  • Start date

Lord Pigwidgeon

Cavy Slave
Because I went into the guinea pig room/my secret sanctum and I seriously thought that Sir Pig was dead! I mean, he's not now, and his behavior and fur and everything is normal, but when I first saw him, he looked dead D: No movement, I couldn't see breathing (turns out it was just really light), and he was laying stretched out. I poked him and he didn't move, I nudged him and he didn't move. I guess he was in a really deep sleep because he didn't wake up until I picked him up. All is well now, but I was freaked out at first!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Ferb has scared me near to heart attack by doing that too! One day he was asleep in the middle of the hay pile all out in the open and I thought he was dead. He was so asleep he didn't even wake up when I started talking to him. And when I tried to pick him up he startled awake and jumped straight up.

Lord Pigwidgeon

Cavy Slave
Haha seriously! I know they hate it, but they do so well at playing possum!

Harriet Marlow

Cavy Slave
I'd never seen a piggie sleep with eyes shut before I got Meg, so that was a scary moment!

Kishaa

Cavy Slave
I can't say I've ever seen my piggies sleep as deep as that before, I know it would freak me out though! I'm glad you said something, now if they ever do it I won't panic until I pick them up!

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
OH yes, I got that same deep sleeping from one of my pigs. Scary the first time, for sure! And I got scared the first time I saw my pig with her eyes closed. With the three of them, two will sleep and one will always be up and eating, so no more deep sleeping during the day. (thank goodness) But I will get a eye closed every now and again.

Lord Pigwidgeon

Cavy Slave
I'd read about their eyes closing sometimes, so when that happened I was happy because I took it as they felt safe enough to sleep with their eyes closed. But I'd never seen him stretch out like that before! I'd seen so many posts and sudden, random piggy deaths that it seriously freaked me out.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Daisy regularly curls up, shuts her eyes and is out for the count, but Minnie's never really been an eyes shut sleeper. She'll sleep right out in the open with her eyes half shut, but the other week I saw her with her eyes shut for the first time since I got her (a year ago) and I freaked out. I was pretty certain she was asleep but I had to be sure so I just gave her a gentle stroke and she half opened her eyes, realised it was me, then back to sleep she went lol

Lord Pigwidgeon

Cavy Slave
Awww! That's crazy that she sleeps out in the open! My guys like to pile under the logs I have and huddle up close.

Christin Barnes

Cavy Slave
Yes! My guidesig always scares me. Today he was sleeping in his house and I could see him in the opening and after I talked to him for a minute he woke up and gave a big yawn!

pigger123

Cavy Slave
My Pumpkin frequently sleeps out in the open, all stretched out with her head at a weird sideways angle and her eyes wide open. The first time I saw her do this it freaked me out, but now I'm so used to it that even if she was actually dead I would probably assume she was just sleeping! Here's a picture of what she looks like nearly every time she sleeps:

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
Hermes used to love sleeping sprawled out under the ramp with the bottom of the ramp resting on top of his body. I walked into the room and initially thought he decapitated himself! So glad it was only a phase and he's moved on to new napping spots.

Lord Pigwidgeon

Cavy Slave
@pigger123 That is exactly how he was sprawled! And when I poked him, nothing. When I stroked his side, nothing. He hates his side being stroked, so that's when I thought, "oh no...!!" At least he's not the only one doing it, I feel better knowing it's a piggy thing!

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
my raistlyne used to sleep so soundly when she was eight years old that i had to poke her a few times to wake her up. i used to pray every time that she was going to actually get up.

yarnsrj

Cavy Slave
New to your forum. But OMG!, my Jilly just took 10 years off my life. Never saw her sleeping like the dead before.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave
I get so heart broken and scared when my guinea pigs don't move and beg for food when I walk over. And also how do I start a thread lol I'm new here:)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pick a forum, click the new thread button.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.