Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Does she look pregnant?

HollyH8

Cavy Slave
I got this girl a week ago from today from petsmart (I know..but I couldn’t resist her) she is the sweetest piggie I have had and so social!

My concern is she looks visibly pregnant, I have never owned skinnies so I’m not sure if they just seem more plump but her belly is just getting bigger even in a week. She eats/drinks/poops good, she eats a ton so I’m not super concerned about bloat but I cannot feel babies or lumps really. She has gained 2.5oz or 70grams in 6 days, she was on the skinnier side and is still young but that seems like a lot for less than a week. Anyone have any ideas? Also, any name suggestions (something cute to go with her lack of hair lol)
Does she look pregnant?
Does she look pregnant?
Does she look pregnant?

I have zero experience with skinnies or with sows, but she only looks chubby to me. I remember when I had babies in their first year gained roughly that amount of weight on a weekly basis, and sometimes more. They WERE boars however.

All I can say is watch her and read some of the threads on this forum. You'll probably gain some better insight doing that.

She IS a cute little thing. Very big eyed and curious.

She looks pretty pregnant to me, but time will tell. Weigh her daily and record the weights, that will be a good indicator if she is.

I don't have skinny experience either, but she looks pretty pregnant to me. Although, it seems like some skinnies have bigger bellies. :) As suggested, weighing and charting are your best bet. But, that's already a fast weight gain. No question, though, if she's pregnant and that big, you should be able to feel some kind of movement. Place her in your lap on a towel or whatever so she's comfortable. Gently cup your hands around her sides and belly with a bit of your hands more underneath. Sit there very patiently for a while.

Also, I recommend buying and adding hemp shavings to cover the pellets in your kitchen area. It will be significantly more comfortable for a skinny pig and much healthier. Especially helpful for when she has babies, assuming she's pregnant. Please take a look at this article:
An Ideal Bedding Combination!

Bedding  An Ideal Bedding Combination!

Are you looking for that perfect bedding? One that is cheap, healthy for you and your guinea pigs, super absorbent, neutralizes urine, only needs to be changed once a week with minor refreshes, is light-weight, smells good to you and your piggies, or doesn't smell at all, is non-allergenic...

Here is the hemp shavings I buy: https://www.amazon.com/Hemp-Bedding-Chicken-Shavings-Expands/dp/B08XJVYTHD

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.