Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing How often?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I bought Gorgeous Guineas pregnant sow shampoo as that was the gentlest they have. Now that Mooshy is drinking more water thanks to me, she pees more on her fleece and of course poops, so more dirty bum. There are yellow stains that don't come out with a gentle wash so I let it be. Since she is prone to UTI it seems, should I include a butt bath every time she's sat in a moistened/wet fleece or poops? Is there such a thing as too much butt baths? I hardly ever bathe her, and haven't in 2 years pre-cancer diagnosis. Tonight was the first time after I saw a big poopy wet splotch on the fleece after she moved from that spot. After the wash it looks a little better, but there are still yellow stains probably from being there so long.

She never goes outside so it's really the bum I'm dealing with and try not to get her whole rump wet which is hard.

TIA

I have to wash my 7yr old pig every 3-4 weeks because sometimes she slacks off in the personal hygiene department. She is a white pig and I totally understand - some stains don't come out in the wash how we would like. I do find the gorgeous guineas shampoos to be the best and cleaning up her white fur than other brands I've tried.
The most important thing is that Mooshy isn't left wet after a bath. Microfibre towels are great at drying the underside of your pig quite thoroughly because the hair is thinner. For frequency, I'd suggest as necessary.
If she's wetting herself quite often, look at putting down something a little bit more absorbent for those high traffic areas. Even a towel at this stage will leave her less soggy and reduce bath times.

Also, keep her butt trimmed so the hair doesn't get wet and matted.

I wouldn't worry about the color, and I wouldn't overdo the baths. Putting down pads is a good idea -- they can be more easily changed than a whole fleece blanket can.

Also, keep her butt trimmed so the hair doesn't get wet and matted.

I wouldn't worry about the color, and I wouldn't overdo the baths. Putting down pads is a good idea -- they can be more easily changed than a whole fleece blanket can.
I use fleece flippers for 3/4 of her cage. I just ordered a 2 x 1 cage liner from the store, the size of a fleece flipper. She pretty much just pees and poos on the flipper by her kitchen the most as that's where her hay bag is as well as where her pigloo is. The spots seems to be an entire flipper for her. I bought 2. It's very pricey otherwise I would have bought more and just wash by hand since my laundry is down the stairs and across the parking lot so not conveniently located. I found a store on etsy that does custom stuff. I'm having her do a potty pad to fit in her carrier, 16.5" x 10.5". She's made little pillows for Mooshy which is adorable and good so if she does well with this then I'll order more pads the size of a flipper from her. Wish the market here wasn't so expensive. When I found it in 2013 it was priced reasonable. Now, wow. It's gone up so much since 2013 for the same thing. Reminds me of the rent in the Bay Area. haha

I looked at her white bum this am and saw this shampoo has pretty much taken care of the yellow stains! There's one area with a little trace but it's pretty white. It used to look really bad, like mustard in areas. So I'm very pleased with gorgeous guineas shampoo for sows, if anyone is looking for reviews.

@Artista I've used a few different GG shampoos and they are all pretty good! The vet recently suggested Aloveen oatmeal shampoo for cats and dogs.. It didn't leave her a fluffy and white as the GGs.

@Artista I've used a few different GG shampoos and they are all pretty good! The vet recently suggested Aloveen oatmeal shampoo for cats and dogs.. It didn't leave her a fluffy and white as the GGs.

Yeah I'm pretty impressed with gorgeous guineas shampoo. It's good for a year since it's got essential oils in it. I can't believe that last night her bum still looked yellow and this am when it was fully dry it's a lot better- almost white again. And I didn't do what the directions said which is to wet area and put a little shampoo there, rub, and let it sit for a few minutes. I put some in her "bathtub" water and washed from there not really leaving it in, but just rubbing probably for a couple minutes. Customer service is great too and it comes pretty fast considering it's from the UK.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.