Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding First time guinea pig owner. My guinea pigs still don’t trust me after 5 months.

hawaiiguineamom

Cavy Slave
I’ve had my babies, Bear and Moose, for about 5 months now and they’re still pretty scared of me... they will only come up to me if they think I have food. And If I don’t they kinda just go back to what they’re doing. I try to give them lap time but they don’t seem to like it and whine a lot. And when I do give them laptime they don’t really like when I try to pick them up for it and they just run away.

Moose will also only let me pet his head occasionally, his rear is completely off limits and he gets really scared. Bear will only let me pet him if he’s eating something I gave him.

any ideas as to how much longer it could take for them to trust me and not get so scared?

These are my babies cuddling

Attachments

A67ED73A-0FFB-4331-A7AC-39A761C58D4C.jpg
I also wanna add that Moose is a BITER ☹️ He bites when he’s curious, upset, wants lap time to be done, if I don’t hand feed him treats quick enough. And he bites hard! My Bear bites if he’s upset too however his is extremely gentle and it’s almost quite cute lol. But I don’t want them to feel upset or uncomfortable around me at all.

Attachments

9CACB758-556A-4729-9B88-7B77B77EFF40.jpg image.jpg
Thank you so much for that reply! It really is very insightful and yes I always thought that Moose just bites hard in general, even when he drinks water he bites the spout pretty hard and I don’t think he realizes his strength lol. I’m hoping one day they will get used to me but I still love them for what they are now and I’ll be happy either way. Appreciate it! ❤️

Thanks so much from me, too, @Kelsie ! My piggies are exactly like yours, and it's so nice to hear other people say it! And I love and enjoy them just as much. My Friar Tuck is the sweetest, shyest, and also likes chin rubs. :love:

@hawaiiguineamom , my Robin Hood was also a biter when he was younger. With him, it was almost entirely exploring and not knowing his own strength. Now that he's almost a year old, he's grown out of it! At worst, he only lightly nibbles sometimes :)

I wrote a similar answer to Kelsie's about how I bonded with my piggies, how long it took, and the best things to do here : https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...ng-and-cage-decorations?p=1017772#post1017772
I think that will really help you, too!

Last edited:
Appreciate this so much❤️

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.