Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Is steam cleaning safe?

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
We are having a carpet cleaning company come to the house to clean the rugs which uses a deodorizer. Is it safe to have the guinea pigs in their room while they clean? We asked for them to not use the deodorizer in my room, where the guinea pigs are.

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry I can't answer this, but I would like to add to the question: Is pest control safe for guinea pigs?? I know when I move there will be mandatory pest control, so should I just ask them to avoid the pigs??

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
When we have them coming to spray for bugs, I take the guinea pigs out of the room, or we just have them not spray that room. I'm not sure if it is safe, but better safe than sorry.

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
Thanks @xXMaggieXx! I'm sure that I can either take them to a friend's house for a little while while or ask them to not spray there- pretty sure the pest control is mostly for bathrooms and kitchens anyway :)

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
No problem!

Piggy_

Cavy Slave
Steam cleaning is usually a really loud process. If it were me I would take them out of the house (to a friend's etc) for the day it's happening, just cause I know the noise would stress them out. If I couldn't manage that, I would make sure they weren't in the same room as the steam cleaning at any time. I'm not sure about the deodoriser sorry, but might be better to be on the safe side and wait for the rugs to dry before the guineas come back. That only takes half a day usually, weather depending.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.