Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Stones trying to clear up sludge, need low/no calcium pellet suggestions

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
My sow scamp has been passing significant amounts of sludge in her urine, and sometimes the urine is bloody. I have a different thread about the vet treatments I am using for her, but here I would like some advice on her diet.

She gets unlimited timothy hay, fresh water, veggies which include: green leaf lettuce, green bell pepper, cucumber, a baby carrot and a cherry tomato every day, and Zupreem timothy naturals pellets every day. I start with an 1/8th of a cup, but she always finishes is and I give her a bit more.

The pellets I am giving her don't have the calcium percentage listed, so I'd like to switch her to something I know is no or low calcium. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good brand?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
KMS is known to have a type of calcium that doesn't create stones, although of course it's never full proof- but this is quality pellets with a "good" type of calcium they use. Zupreem is not considered a good brand. The veggies you feed are fine.

kmshayloft.com Tons of people here are happy with these pellets as are their pigs, and their customer service is fantastic! I get my gp's hay from here too. It's a good deal to buy hay/pellet combos, unless you are getting bulk from a farmer (local) or something.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Artista, pigs can get stones on KMS pellets -- my Flourish is living proof. That said, it seems to be far less common on KMS than with other pellets.

@VBaamonde, you really should limit to 1/8 cup of pellets for a pig who's having sludge problems, and maybe less. She won't starve on that amount, and if she's still hungry after she finishes her pellets, give her another veggie.

And I'd for sure take her off the Zupreem pellets. They've got alfalfa, which increases the calcium content, and soy, which pigs don't really need.

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
thanks guys! i just ordered the 10 lb bag of timothy choice from kms, hopefully it helps :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.