Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Eating Some Veggies but No Pellets

arod18007

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So Eevee doesn't appear to be doing too well. She looks very sad and absolutely hates it when I have to give her antibiotics.

I noticed that yesterday she barely touched her pellets (maybe ate 2 or 3) and today has had none of them. However, she does eat the green leaf lettuce I'm giving her but won't eat any green bell peppers. I'm going to get simethicone today in case she's having gas issues or something like that. I'm also going to buy a bigger variety of veggies to see if she'll touch any of that. I did spot her drinking some water today but yesterday I did give her some water orally with a syringe because I hadn't seen her drink any. Should I call my vet? Or is it ok that she's eating veggies but not pellets? I was thinking of doing the pellet water mix and force feeding her but not too sure.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need to handfeed her, and it's called force feeding for a reason -- you'll have to force her to do it, and neither one of you will like it a bit. But a pig that's not eating is a pig that's in danger. See www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html. You'll need small (1 cc) syringes without needles to get the food back to her molars, and a larger syringe to load the small ones.

If she's not eating anything else, she needs 50-60 cc of Critical Care, Critter Be Better, or a pellet slurry per day, divided into 5-6 feedings. If she's eating some, you can decrease the hand-fed amount accordingly.

She also needs probiotics -- poop soup from a healthy pig is good, or plain acidophilus or kyodophilus tablets will work.

I doubt seriously that she needs simethicone -- sounds like a normal response to antibiotics to me.

arod18007

Cavy Slave
If she's not eating anything else, she needs 50-60 cc of Critical Care, Critter Be Better, or a pellet slurry per day, divided into 5-6 feedings. If she's eating some, you can decrease the hand-fed amount accordingly.

She also needs probiotics -- poop soup from a healthy pig is good

Thank you, now that I'm home I'm making her pellet slurry. What do you mean by poop soup from a healthy pig? Again, thanks for the info and the link.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Poop soup is where you get a fresh poop from a healthy pig (the fresher the better) and mush it with a little bit of water and syringe it to your unwell pig. The idea behind it is that when it is still fresh it still contains the healthy gut bacteria guinea pigs need, hence it needs to come from a healthy pig to avoid spreading bad bacteria.

pinky

Cavy Slave
You can also buy Benebac probiotics in powder or gel form from your local pet store. You can sprinkle the powder on the veggies or give a pea sized dose of the gel form with a syringe with the tip cut off. Just make sure you put the tip of the syringe on the side, between the teeth and gums so she doesn't aspirate it. Same goes for syringe feeding of any kind.

arod18007

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone! I'm so glad to be a part of this forum. I have been giving her the pellet slurry and she absolutely loves it. Whenever I give her the antibiotics through the syringe she hates it and tries so hard to get away. But when I giver her the slurry she actually tries to get the syringe in her mouth when I pull it away! I'm glad she's having an appetite but still unsure why she won't eat the pellets on her own. This will be something I ask my vet when I go to Eevee's appointment. I am also going to do the poop soup tonight and see how that goes. Again, thank you all.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Never knew about the ''soup''. LOL

arod18007

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.