Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Spice isn't eating

barrelracer

Cavy Slave
I just got Spice yesterday (11/5) and she isn't eating. I don't think she is drinking either. Is this normal? Should I take her to a vet?

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Not normal. Where did you get her from? Did you adopt? Can you call the owner/rescue and see if they noticed any odd behavior in the last few days? She might just be eating and drinking when you aren't looking. Give her veggies and see if she goes for those. Force water if you have to but a vet visit might be a good idea if nothing changes by tomorrow.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Does she seem very scared? It may be that she is hiding rather than eating when you are around her right now since she is so new. Definitely keep an eye on her, and see if she will eat some veggies maybe. Giver her space and if you can observe from a distance to see if then she will eat. If she doesn't seem scared but instead seems lethargic then I would say a vet is in order.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Yes, you need to take her to a vet. A pig not eating is very concerning.

What have you tried to feed her?
Was she a rescue, private adoption or pet store purchase? I only ask because most pet store pigs are not used to eating veggies.

If she is not drinking or eating you need to start syringing some food and water to her.
You can mix some of her pellets in with warm water and syringe the mix to her.

You do not want her to become dehyradated so try to give her some water.

Is she lethargic? Does she show any interest in food?

Check out this on guinealynx.

https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

I am not expert, but I had a piggy that stopped eating and I had to hand feed him.

barrelracer

Cavy Slave
I got her from a private adoption. I emailed the old owner and she said she was eating just fine there. She is lethargic and has no interest in food. I am concerned. I will probably take her in, in the morning

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Yeah just flat out not being interested needs a trip to the vet. Hope everything is alright!

pinky

Cavy Slave
What have you tried feeding her? Does she have a pigloo or hidey house to take refuge in? Try putting some moist romaine or green leaf lettuce near the opening of her pigloo and let her be. Where is her cage located and do you have kids or other animals that she might be afraid of? Keep her in a quiet area. I adopted one that didn't want to eat, either. Sometimes when they're really scared, they won't want to eat. If she doesn't eat anything at all, then you should have her checked out but I'll bet she's just really stressed by the move.

barrelracer

Cavy Slave
i've tried regular guinea pig food, timothy hay, and apples. I don't have any veggies right now. I will have to get some. She is hiding behind the little hut i have for her. She is in with another female guinea pig. There are no other animals around them. The cage is in my bedroom

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Did you do a quarantine period for her?

barrelracer

Cavy Slave
no, i haven't tried that

pinky

Cavy Slave
i've tried regular guinea pig food, timothy hay, and apples. I don't have any veggies right now. I will have to get some. She is hiding behind the little hut i have for her. She is in with another female guinea pig. There are no other animals around them. The cage is in my bedroom

What kind of guinea pig food? She needs green leafy vegetables. Apples are high in sugar and are fine as a treat only. There are diet and nutrition charts on here that will give you a lot of information. They should have a cup of veggies every day. Is there only a single hut in there? If you have two guinea pigs, you need at least two huts or pigloos. If she's afraid of the other guinea pig, she can get trapped in the hut if the other one asserts dominance.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Does she eat veggies? Does she have a favorite? If so, put a favorite veggie or fruit infront of her. Leave her be for a while and come back to see if she ate it. Yuo can also use a small handful of hay or pellets.

This is a new guinea pig and she just maybe scared by the sudden changes in her environment. You JUST got her yesterday. Give her sometime to chill.

barrelracer

Cavy Slave
there are 2 huts in the cage. I will pick up some veggies tomorrow. What would you recommend? spinach?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I'd only give her what she is familiar with at this time. Right now everything is ssssoooo new and frighting to her. She may not eat any veggies if she hasn't eaten any before.

Just put a small handful of hay infront of her(and her cagemate so she isn't jealous). Leave her be and come back after a while to see if she has touched it.

pinky

Cavy Slave
there are 2 huts in the cage. I will pick up some veggies tomorrow. What would you recommend? spinach?
How old is she? If she's under 6 months of age, she needs calcium in her diet to build strong bones. If she's over 6 months, limit the calcium. For an adult, I like to offer red and green leaf lettuce, endive, escarole, romaine, cilantro, bell peppers, no more than one baby carrot a day, radicchio. Youngsters can also have spinach, kale, dandelions, mustard greens. Here's the link to the diet and nutrition charts:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html#post254730

barrelracer

Cavy Slave
she is 7 months old

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
What veggies do you feed your other pigs?

True apple is high in sugar, but I would take her out of the cage from the others, sit her in your lap and drape a little hand towel over her and see if she will eat anything then.

If you have the ability to separate her from the group and give her her own water bottle, I would try that.

barrelracer

Cavy Slave
i haven't fed my other pig veggies cause i just got her on Sunday (11/4). I need to go to the store tomorrow to get some.

pinky

Cavy Slave
i haven't fed my other pig veggies cause i just got her on Sunday (11/4). I need to go to the store tomorrow to get some.

What pellets are you feeding them and is the timothy hay green and fresh? Are they from the same person or different people? What do you know about the conditions they lived in? Is the other one eating?

barrelracer

Cavy Slave
I'm feeding them "Guinea pig daily diet." the timothy hay is fresh and green. they are from different people. Pepper (the other one) ate right away when i got her. Spice (the one not eating) was in a C & C cage where i got her from and i have a C & C cage here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.