Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Well, now this is awkward.. I'm New

sofieguineapigs

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I'm Sofie, and I'm also new to this site. I've always come to this site for help o my guinea pigs and finally decided it's time to create an account.
I hope you can all help me on my guinea pig questions/dilemmas!
Talk to you soon,
Sofie:)

iMariaRainbowz

Cavy Slave

Nickersss

Cavy Slave

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
So glad I'm not the only person who finds introduction threads to be incredibly awkward...

Hi, welcome to the party.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome. So glad you found us. We will be glad to help you with all your piggie needs. We have a wonderful community here. All of us love piggies. We love pictures too. Looking forward to sharing.

WCatterton

Cavy Slave
Glad to know I'm not alone! I'm brand new too! We just got our first guinea pig, Brownie, a few weeks ago! And reading all of this has made me confused and worried I'm not giving her everything she needs =(

iadoremypiggies

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I was new like 4 days ago :D

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Welcome :)

Glad to know I'm not alone! I'm brand new too! We just got our first guinea pig, Brownie, a few weeks ago! And reading all of this has made me confused and worried I'm not giving her everything she needs =(

Don't be worried. There's a ridiculous amount to know about guinea pigs and as a new owner you can't be expected to know everything! And this forum is here to provide the info you need, have a read over some threads or make your own if you have questions :)

doglaurasmudge

Cavy Slave
Hi! I also found the welcome thread very awkward... There is so much to learn on this site, I wanted guinea pigs and I barely knew how to look after one but now I know LOADS LOADS LOADS more! This site work's wonders!

WCatterton

Cavy Slave
Welcome :)

Don't be worried. There's a ridiculous amount to know about guinea pigs and as a new owner you can't be expected to know everything! And this forum is here to provide the info you need, have a read over some threads or make your own if you have questions :)

This is going to sound so silly, but first how do you upload a profile pic? I usually consider myself pretty computer savvy but cannot find a place to upload the profile pic, just the ones on my page. Also, I just bought a regular cage from Petsmart and wondering if the cages on here are better for her? I cannot have an open cage because of my dogs and 3 year old twins. And how do you cut their nails??? I haven't been able to find a nail cutter for her. Is she supposed to be bathed a certain amount during the week/month?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm horrible at reading through every single post!

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome :)

The profile pic, I'll let somebody else answer because it took me awhile to find it too lol.

As for cage, 99% of store bought cages are not the right size unfortunately even though they may seem large. Guinea pigs LOVE to do laps and get zoomies and need that room to run when they get the urge. Please check out Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home for the proper cage sizing, more space is always better then less. :)

Yes, the cages on here are better and you can find TONS of posts on how to make it yourself for relatively cheap. All you need is coroplast (corrugated plastic like from political signs) and wire cube storage racks. When you get a minute, take a look around the site and you'll see how easy and cheap it is to make your own and you can also find posts on how to make a lid for your cage. I have a new puppy, cat and two kids and mine is ridiculously secure with it's lid.

For nails, I use kitten nail clippers. Bought them for around $2.00 at Walmart, you don't need anything fancy. You can use human nail clippers as well but personally, I like the kitten ones since you can see both sides of the nail when you clip.

As for baths, you should not need to bath them a certain amount of times a week or month. Some piggies are messier then others, like my long haired white piggie, but for the most part they are very clean animals and will groom themselves. I do spot cleaning on my boy about once a week and keep his backend trimmed and he keeps pretty clean that way. With my short hair, I only clean his grease gland which is very active on him for whatever reason. Other then that, no baths are necessary.

Hope that helped, and again welcome, we'd love to see some pictures!

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
This is going to sound so silly, but first how do you upload a profile pic? I usually consider myself pretty computer savvy but cannot find a place to upload the profile pic, just the ones on my page. Also, I just bought a regular cage from Petsmart and wondering if the cages on here are better for her? I cannot have an open cage because of my dogs and 3 year old twins. And how do you cut their nails??? I haven't been able to find a nail cutter for her. Is she supposed to be bathed a certain amount during the week/month?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm horrible at reading through every single post!

It's fine, don't worry, everyone has questions lol

With a profile pic you can go on your profile/settings and it gives you the option of putting a profile picture up (which goes on your page), and then an avatar (shows up on the forums). You can use default avatar's or upload your own but you need to crop it to the right size if you do.

Generally, pet store cages are far too small. C&C cages are better, bigger, and cheaper. You can make a lid for it out of grids by attaching them to the top all down one side with cable ties, this way you can lift it up and down easily. A lot of members do this if they have cats - see the gallery for some examples. But I would recommend building yourself a c&c :) my boys are in a 2x4 with a 1x2 loft and they're over the moon - when I first got a guinea pig he was in a pet store cage and now I wouldnt ever put him in one again tbh, there's no going back lol

You can buy little nail cutters at the pet store or use normal nail trimmers, the ones you squeeze. Take off the tips and the tips only - else you'll cut the quick and your piggy will bleed. This can be stopped with a special powder you can buy, or corn flour. If your piggy has light coloured nails you should be able to see the quick, holding a torch underneath can help. If they're dark just do the tips. There are some helpful vids on youtube.
I tend to get my boyfriend to hold them while I cut their nails because they aren't really keen and it's hard to do when I hold them.

There's no set amount for bathing them, but you don't wanna do it too often. Noah's quite messy and managed to get dirty quickly so I generally bath him once a month, Elmo a lot lot less frequent. It depends on your pig/how long their coat is/etc. It's easier to spot clean them sometimes, I have to spot clean Noah's legs quite a lot. He gets smelly lol

WCatterton

Cavy Slave
It's fine, don't worry, everyone has questions lol

With a profile pic you can go on your profile/settings and it gives you the option of putting a profile picture up (which goes on your page), and then an avatar (shows up on the forums). You can use default avatar's or upload your own but you need to crop it to the right size if you do.

Generally, pet store cages are far too small. C&C cages are better, bigger, and cheaper. You can make a lid for it out of grids by attaching them to the top all down one side with cable ties, this way you can lift it up and down easily. A lot of members do this if they have cats - see the gallery for some examples. But I would recommend building yourself a c&c :) my boys are in a 2x4 with a 1x2 loft and they're over the moon - when I first got a guinea pig he was in a pet store cage and now I wouldnt ever put him in one again tbh, there's no going back lol

You can buy little nail cutters at the pet store or use normal nail trimmers, the ones you squeeze. Take off the tips and the tips only - else you'll cut the quick and your piggy will bleed. This can be stopped with a special powder you can buy, or corn flour. If your piggy has light coloured nails you should be able to see the quick, holding a torch underneath can help. If they're dark just do the tips. There are some helpful vids on youtube.
I tend to get my boyfriend to hold them while I cut their nails because they aren't really keen and it's hard to do when I hold them.

There's no set amount for bathing them, but you don't wanna do it too often. Noah's quite messy and managed to get dirty quickly so I generally bath him once a month, Elmo a lot lot less frequent. It depends on your pig/how long their coat is/etc. It's easier to spot clean them sometimes, I have to spot clean Noah's legs quite a lot. He gets smelly lol

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH! This has really been so helpful!!!! Where do you suggest I buy the C&C cage? And thank you so much!

WCatterton

Cavy Slave
Ok I found the C&C store up above! I'm looking into buying the 2x4 cage with the 1x2 loft attached, is that a good one? I'm thinking of getting a sister for Brownie here soon and wonder if it'll be big enough for the both of them? Also, what about the tops? Would the Large size top fit? TIA =)

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
THANK YOU SO SO MUCH! This has really been so helpful!!!! Where do you suggest I buy the C&C cage? And thank you so much!

Any time :) As I'm in the UK I tend to get them from different places and I'm not familiar with American shops. You can order them online from Amazon, eBay, and other websites but if you'd rather purchase them in store, there's a list of places that sell them on the 'cages' section of the forum. I can recommend the online retailers I use but it will probably cost a fair bit for international shipping so you're better off looking for Americann providers :)

For coroplast, you can get it at sign makers, some d.i.y shops, or free at an estate agents (that's where I get mine, means I've got some extra cutting and sticking to do but it saves money).

Alternatively you could buy one of the kits, I think there's a link on the home page of this website but a lot of people make their own because they find it a tad cheaper, especially if they're on a budget - but then again it's always tempting to pay for convenience.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, hopefully a member from the USA can point you in a better direction!

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Ok I found the C&C store up above! I'm looking into buying the 2x4 cage with the 1x2 loft attached, is that a good one? I'm thinking of getting a sister for Brownie here soon and wonder if it'll be big enough for the both of them? Also, what about the tops? Would the Large size top fit? TIA =)

Ah okay :) 2x4 with a 1x2 loft will be fine for 2 pigs, yes :) I have 2 in mine. I will have a look at the top for you now, I haven't seen it before, two seconds!

edit: Either the internet hates me or I'm looking in the wrong place but it won't load for me, could you link me to the page? The top just needs to be the same amount of grids across/wide as the cage. So it will also need to be 2x4 grids. But if you want a loft...it'll make things more difficult...you might have to get a 2x3 lid and then a lid for the loft, and something to go round the ramp? Otherwise you wouldn't be able to lift it. Otherwise for simplicity you could just have them in the 2x4, or get a 2x5 (or 3x3 or something, anything you fancy really) and make them a little kitchen area :)

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
This also has some suggestions for making a cage lid (broken link removed)

WCatterton

Cavy Slave
Ah okay :) 2x4 with a 1x2 loft will be fine for 2 pigs, yes :) I have 2 in mine. I will have a look at the top for you now, I haven't seen it before, two seconds!

edit: Either the internet hates me or I'm looking in the wrong place but it won't load for me, could you link me to the page? The top just needs to be the same amount of grids across/wide as the cage. So it will also need to be 2x4 grids. But if you want a loft...it'll make things more difficult...you might have to get a 2x3 lid and then a lid for the loft, and something to go round the ramp? Otherwise you wouldn't be able to lift it. Otherwise for simplicity you could just have them in the 2x4, or get a 2x5 (or 3x3 or something, anything you fancy really) and make them a little kitchen area :)

Here is the link for the cage with the deck ----> (broken link removed)

And the link for the tops ------> (broken link removed)

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
I never even posted and intro thread I just kinda joined...anyway welcome

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.