Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm New!

KristiR

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I'm new at guinea pigs. I recently adopted a 2 year old male guinea pig named Patrick. He came from a guy I work with's wife. They were moving and didn't have enough room for him. I got the cage and all the stuff they had which wasn't much. I did a ton of research on guinea pigs and found out that he really wasn't cared for properly by them. He didn't have hay available 24/7 and was getting this junk food that looked like the cereal Fruity Pebbles. Now he has hay and Oxbow pellets. Every day he gets fresh veggies and fruit. The only real issue I'm having is that he's very skittish. He does not like being handled. I have to kind of "catch" him in his new C&C cage I bought him. I was sort of hoping to have a piggy that enjoyed being carted around kind of like my late rat did. I have tried to wrap him in a towel while holding him and feeding him goodies like strawberries but he gets so nervous he makes this scared noise and won't even eat the strawberries. I am guessing he was a pet that was kind of forgotten about in the spare room. At my house, that will not be the case. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting him used to being handled better? I should mention that I've had him for 4 weeks now and I've had him to the exotic vet for a wellness check and he's a big healthy guy. He's 2.8lbs and I was told he's an Abyssinian by my vet. He has cowlicks everywhere. He's mostly black with this cute carmel colored stripe around his midsection and a white nose.

I love him to pieces. I talk to him all the time and pet him in his cage. He no longer nibbles at my fingers when I try to pet him so that's a step right?

:)

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
Fruits are only given twice a week, and you can use the elevator method to reduce the stress from catching him to hold him. Read this on thier diet https://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

Chipotle123

Cavy Slave
You have to post a picture of him! And I think I can help you.

So make time everyday to at least sit by his cage. I would sit there and talk to him in a soothing voice until he got used to my voice. Then I would stick my hand in the cage. Let the piggie approach you, don't approach the piggie. TIP: Have some of his favorite fruit of vegetable in your hand. That will encourage him to smell your hand and come see. Once your piggie has gotten used to you, you can try to carefully pick your guinea pig up. If your guinea pig doesn't want you to pick him up, then I wouldn't try for the rest of the day. I would just try again the next day.

I hope this helps!

Nix16

Cavy Slave
Hi, welcome. Have you thought about getting patrick a friend, I suspect he will feel more relaxed then. Thats not to say he'll magically love being picked up and carried around, but he probably feels like the only guineapig in a world full of giants. Glad to hear he has a loving home with you, sounds like he's a real cutie

slowmaro

Cavy Slave
He really doesn't sound much different than any other piggie I've had (7 to date). They need to be handled to get used to you and used to being handled. And some may just never like being handled. One of my girls I'm lucky to hold more than a minute or two before she tries to continuously bolt for the floor. Every once in a while she'll snuggle. The other one is like a lump on my lap:hypnotize Might not hurt to consider a buddy for him either. It's also not uncommon to take months to adjust so be patient. A lot has changed for him.

KristiR

Cavy Slave
Hi, welcome. Have you thought about getting patrick a friend, I suspect he will feel more relaxed then. Thats not to say he'll magically love being picked up and carried around, but he probably feels like the only guineapig in a world full of giants. Glad to hear he has a loving home with you, sounds like he's a real cutie
I am actually really considering finding another male guinea pig so Patrick has a friend. I've read how social they are. Thanks for the input. He has started making a purring noise when the husband pets him but doesn't do it when I pet him. He's adorable.

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
The elevator method is when you use a shoe box or similar box with a single hole cut out of it and put it in their enclosure, you let them walk in the box(elevator) and then pick it up while covering the hole with your hand to keep them from jumping out. It is less stressful then chasing them around the enclosure.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Offer him veggies when you hold him and hold the veggies when you offer them to him in his cage. If you want a friendly guinea pig, you don't want them to be afraid of your hands or fearing being caught. I have one nervous one but all my others sit and wait for me to pick them up. They know my hands mean treats and rubs.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I sing to my pigs. I'm not a good singer. But I always talk to them. It didn't take long for both of them to recognize my voice and wheek like maniacs when they hear me, the veggie bringer.

Just pet him, let him come to you. Talk to him. It takes time. I cuddle each of my pigs everyday. Sometimes I'm not home, but I always try. Even right now, izzy is burrowing into my hair, perched on my chest/shoulder as comfy as can be. She likes to chill with me.

I find one of my pigs can't stand being carried. His eyes get really big and white, and he starts making noise. I have to give him a clear view of what's going on. He doesn't enjoy being wrapped up and carried. I call him captain, he must lead the way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.