Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds I have a quiet Guinea Pig

Beloved89

Cavy Slave
My pig is about 4 or 5 months old. He is very healthy. He eats his pellets, hay and veggies everyday and gets excited when I refill his hay. BUT I never hear him squeak or make any pig noises? Is this a baby Guinea Pig thing? Or is my hearing out of wack? lol Only once have I heard him do squeaks when he was running around the house but it was very faint. I don't know if this is normal because cavies are very vocal right? This is my only concern other than that my Prometheus is very healthy.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Not all guinea pigs are vocal. I have one that never wheeks. He's laid back and soft spoken.

Beloved89

Cavy Slave
Not all guinea pigs are vocal. I have one that never wheeks. He's laid back and soft spoken.

Interesting. I did not know some Guinea Pigs are not vocal.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Interesting. I did not know some Guinea Pigs are not vocal.

I think their behavior gets reinforced by what they get rewarded for. My quiet one rattles the cage so I think he thinks that's what he needs to do to get snacks. His companion is also pretty quiet. They're both older males.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Maybe your guinea pig would be more vocal with the addition of a friend? Since guinea pigs are such social creatures, their personalities really blossom when they live in groups. You might consider it. Here's some information to learn more: https://www.guinealynx.info/companionship.html and Guinea Pigs Social Life.

I also noticed my guinea pigs got more vocal and were always happy and excited after I made them a C&C cage. You might want to consider that too if you haven't already. Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

Good luck!

charliespet

Cavy Slave
My female guinea pig was never a big squeaker until I got her a companion that never stopped. Now she only wheeks when she wants me...she is in her own bedroom so she has learned that if she wheeks loudly i will come check on her. Other than that, she's as quiet as a church mouse.

scarlettraven

Cavy Slave
I have 2 female guinea pigs in a 2x4 C&C cage. Both are under a year old.
Bingo is extremely vocal and Daisy is quiet....

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Maybe your guinea pig would be more vocal with the addition of a friend? Since guinea pigs are such social creatures, their personalities really blossom when they live in groups.

Indeed! My first pig, Shammy, hardly made any noise. That is, until I brought home Peppy. Then they BOTH were making lovely piggy noises.

So that might help but as Pinky said, not all pigs are vocal. Some are shy but make more noise as they come out of their shell. Some never make much noise. Sometimes they make noise when there's something more to make noise about - arrival of food, attention of humans, etc.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Mufasa was very young when we got him and didn't make much noise, other than contented mumbling when my husband would pet him the right way. He died before we ever got to see whether he'd learn to be more vocal but I suspect he would have been.

Our current piggies, Borat and Amy, are complete opposites. Both with wheek when they think food is coming, but Amy is extremely vocal, while Borat is the strong, silent type. I know his wheeker's not broken, but he's very selective in when he uses it vs. Amy, who believes in wheeking early and often.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
My Eddy Pig is very quiet. He hardly squeaks and when he does wheek it is a weak soft sound. The only sound I ever hear him make is the soft chirpy "I'm exploring" sound. He's just a quiet little guy, he's also very calm and very serious. Eddy Pig was our first guinea pig and when he was alone he never squeaked, not even a little bit. Once he was introduced to Ben he started being more vocal, mostly softly wheeking for veggies, but still he is very quiet.

Beloved89

Cavy Slave
Maybe your guinea pig would be more vocal with the addition of a friend? Since guinea pigs are such social creatures, their personalities really blossom when they live in groups. You might consider it. Here's some information to learn more: https://www.guinealynx.info/companionship.html and Guinea Pigs Social Life.

I also noticed my guinea pigs got more vocal and were always happy and excited after I made them a C&C cage. You might want to consider that too if you haven't already. Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

Good luck!

I really don't think that's the reason because my last Guinea Pig was very vocal and he lived alone. I'm also saving money for a C&C cage. Thanks for the info.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave

Good luck!

I agree. I never once heard my piggy Lilly squeak until I got her a friend. And now they never stop wheeking!

GusGusandOreo

Cavy Slave
We have two guinea pig brothers. The dominant one never makes any noise, while the other one is very vocal. I'm not sure why this is, but they both still make very excited noises when their veggies arrive!

kananaka

Cavy Slave
...Amy, who believes in wheeking early and often.

This made me lol. Our Miranda wheeks so loud starting at 7am (or as soon as she realizes we are up) till breakfast is served, and it goes on throughout the day when she wants fresh hay, pellets, or thinks she should have more veggies. :D But its funny, she is the shyer one when we come into the room or go to pick them up.:crazy:

Delaine

Cavy Slave
Both my girls are quiet. They always have pellets, lots of hay and water, so they are never really hungry. They get excited in the morning and evening when it is veggy time, but mostly they just put their feet up on the side of the cage and look out at me and then run around. The only time I hear Abbey squeal is when her sister is bugging her or chasing her out of one of the houses.

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Lawcatt509

Cavy Slave
When I first got Wilber he hardly ever made any noise unless I did a sucking sound with my teeth than he do a little shake and a murble type sound.Than we got Spot/Pinky and now Wilber wont shut up.He calls for me early morning.Like mom where is my breakfast. and when he hears me saying treats coming.Forget it he goes bazerk.lolNow Spot he is quite only time he makes noise is when I pick him up or when he gets to the barrier between Wilber and him and he talks to Wilber and rumbles and struts against the bars.Is kinda funny what they do.Now Wilber will talk to Spot for hours but Spots pays him no mind till he is ready. Oh and let me be late with Wilbers afternoon veggies.He gets really upset and starts to squeak like crazy.

elahrairah

Cavy Slave
I have a 1 year old rescue pig that I got a couple of months ago who never ever makes noise no matter what. She's very sweet, just quiet. She's never wheeked or anything! I guess some pigs are just naturally quiet.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
This made me lol. Our Miranda wheeks so loud starting at 7am (or as soon as she realizes we are up) till breakfast is served, and it goes on throughout the day when she wants fresh hay, pellets, or thinks she should have more veggies. :D But its funny, she is the shyer one when we come into the room or go to pick them up.:crazy:

Same with my pigs. They are my alarm clock as soon as they see light coming in the room its time to WHEEK To wake me up for food!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.