Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New user c:

PopcornPiggies

Cavy Slave
Hey all, I've decided to re-join Cavy Cages, seeing as I'm addicted to guinea pigs. Used to be BlizNWally, forgot my password, so now I'm back :eek:ptimist: I have two guinea pigs, and am hoping to get more. Ozwald, or Wally is a tri-colored Abby/Teddy mix. He's the dominant guy, who loves people almost as much as he loves food. I purchased him for petco unfortunately, but I'll never buy another guinea pig there again. Luckily he was perfectly fine, when I read how petco pigs can have serious health issues, I felt like such a blockhead, but I have to say, I wouldn't trade Wally for anything, and I'm glad he's my spoiled pig. He's just not like other pigs, he's so friendly to humans. Blizzard is my very skittish rescue pig. We adopted him from Wee Companions, he's an Agouti/Shorthair mix. He had lived with older males since birth, so he was perfectly fine with being second ranking pig. He's been much friendlier towards me, but he'll still try to run away. I have to say he's quite the photogenic pig, where as Wally has his share of mug shots. I'm currently, and probably will be forever a Kleenmamma's slave. Her hay and pellets are amazing, I wouldn't consider anything else. I currently have the pigs in a 2x5 C&C cage with a 1x2 kitchen. They get fed a variety of veggies daily, are bathed, nail trimmed, groomed, and weighed monthly. And have a vet check-up every half a year. I've built a 2ftx4ft outdoor run with a latch at the top for easy reach, and when the weather permits, the pigs have about an hour of eating grass and dandelions in the shade, and don't worry they're never left over-night, or unsupervised. I'm hoping to get a few females eventually, are there any major differences between the genders? And any tips for how to keep my males from trying to reach the females? Thanks 😊

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Welcome ...back :)
Your pigs sound so cute. I just LOVE teddy guinea pigs! Any way you can post pics?
You cage sounds sorta like mine. Mines a 2x5 with a 1x5 upper. Do you pigs like it?
Also, I cant really help you out on genders, I have only females.
Hope to see you around the forum!

PopcornPiggies

Cavy Slave
Hahah thank you! And yeah Teddy's are too precious, I'll eventually post pics(when I find my darn USB cable) And my pigs love the cage they're in, they have enough space to stay awat from each other when needed, and I love the cage cause they've basically been litter trained to use the aspen since that's where the majority of their food goes. I've been doing a bit of research on the females, can't find any major differences between the two, but I'm going to probably have a big coroplast wall between the cages, although that won't stop each other's smells, haha It'll have to do though.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Sounds cool!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.