Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Fan

Trackman

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone!

I am new to the forums and I am very excited to be here! I am 18 and currently a freshman in college. My girlfriend and I are hoping to be able to move off campus together our junior year. We both love animals and have been in the process of deciding what type of pet we would like to get when we move off campus.

Here is just a little bit of background on our pets. My girlfriend has dogs at home and fish at school, and she has also had hermit crabs. I have had cats, geckos, frogs, freshwater fish, a hamster, rats, mice, and a hermit crab, and I have fish at school. Whew! So together we should be able to handle most anything. :)

We like to think about our future and would love to have many different animals, but we weren't sure what would be good for our junior year. I was doing some research, which I really enjoy doing before getting another pet and I stumbled across this website. I think that this is the most amazing thing ever! I didn't know much about guinea pigs so I decided to do some research on them. It turned out that they might just be perfect for my girlfriend and I as a first pet when we get our apartment together.

We love the site and plan on staying here a long time and really getting to know more about these interesting little critters, and these amazing cages.

P.S. Sorry if this was a bit long. Sometimes I just get so excited I can't stop typing. lol

heatheryyyy

Cavy Slave
Hiya, welcome to the forums. I think it is really good that you have done all the research before deciding on a new pet.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! Glad you have found this site. There is a ton of great info here so you've come to the right place.

Two years is a long way off so you have plenty of time to look around and research about guinea pigs. It's great that you've had lots of experience with different types of animals but keep in mind that each animal requires much different care. Hamsters, rats and mice, although similar in some ways to guinea pigs, require much different care.

I'm so glad that you are here and are willing to learn before acquiring a guinea pig. All the time you spend finding out about them will definitely pay off.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

Piggynovice

Cavy Slave
Hi. We are very much in the same boat. I am a senior in college right now, but the apartment I am in doesnt allow Guinea pigs. I have been researching everything about guinea pigs since about October. I'm hoping to get my piggers this summer.

Thanks for taking the time to plan for your new family members. There is a ton of good info on here.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

This page might help you out as well: Guinea Pig Care

In looking for guinea pig info, this site, Guinea Lynx, and Cavy Spirit are the most reliable websites. Unfortunately there is a lot of bad information out there too. If you have questions, just ask! They are very high maintenance but also very rewarding pets.

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
Hi, and welcome! I think it's great that you've decided to do the research BEFORE getting pigs. It will be so much better for your eventual pets in the long run! Be sure to read up on the diet and medical forums, especially (the stickies at the top especially). When it does come time to bring your new friends home, PLEASE adopt (from a shelter, rescue, or rehoming someone's unwanted pigs) rather than buying from a breeder or petstore!

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Starting so far in advance, you will have a lot of time to research shelters and rescues in your area. Piggies are so bright and inquisitive and friendly, when in good hands! (not to mention adorable). When the time comes, you should also check Craig's list and petfinder.com . There are a lot of lovely piggies out there just waiting for a real home.

Trackman

Cavy Slave
Thank you all so much for the kind greetings and information.

Also, I just wanted to let you all know that my girlfriend and I are huge supporters of pet adoption, and we do not want to support pet stores anymore. We are definitely planning on adopting all of our future pets, whether they are from shelters, rescues, or a legitimate site such as Petfinder or Cragislist.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! This place is an amazing source for guinea pig care.

I am happy to hear you are researching first. However, my adultish side is bugging me to bring this up (sorry if this sounds like a lecture I would just feel better saying it). I just graduated from college and I have seen this happen too many times. People buy pets when they move off campus. When the graduate they can no longer live in a place accepting of them so their pets no longer have a home. PLEASE look into your future. Only adopt a guinea pig if you know almost for a fact you will be keeping it for life. Most off campus housing is temporary solutions for a couple years which is much shorter than the life span of a guinea pig.

Also, my boyfriend is as much a part of my guinea pigs life as I am. He absolutely LOVES her, but at the same time my guinea pig is MINE. Make sure when going into this that there is an established owner. You are not married, things can change quickly, and there needs to be a solid understanding of who the guinea pig ultimately would go to in the case of a breakup. While your relationship may last forever there is nothing saying things don't come up down the line.

Basically, please do the responsible thing and really evaluate and research these factors in your life as well as the information about the guinea pigs themselves. If you are unsure about the future after college is over, if I were you, I might shoot for something with a smaller life span, or something more easily accepted in apartments. That way if the pet becomes one of those lovable, cared about "burdens" it is only a burden for a short time and not years and years.

Now that my rant is over however, guinea pigs are amazingly rewarding pets! I hope whatever you decide works out for you! :)

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. Please adopt and when the time comes a lot of members here can help you both find a pair of piggies in need of a home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.