Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Racks Outside the Cage?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Hi guys, I'm looking for advice from people who have successfully managed to have their hay rack(s) outside the cage instead of inside it.

I want to put my hay rack outside the cage because I am oh so tired of the piggos getting into their hay rack and pulling down hay to lay in or play with. Aside from the waste, which is no big deal, it gets all over the fleece and is a hassle to clean off the fleece before I put it in the washing machine. I've seen several pictures of folks who use cereal boxes, etc and I'm just wondering if any of you guys who have tried hay racks outside the cage can tell me how it worked out for them, what the ups and downs were, etc.

My hayracks are on the outside of my cage. I basically used a cut of coroplast measured for a 1x1. Then I glued three of the four walls together, left one wall open for the top (to fill the hay). Attached to the outside of the cage with zip ties.

The fleece gets a little messy, but I just scoop up the loose hay with my hands and vacuum off all the remaining tidbits. It works well, and having the extra floor space is fabulous.

You can see an example here: (broken link removed) Its more pictures of the whole cage than just the hayrack. But hopefully you can get the idea.

Last edited:
Oh cool, thanks. Do your pigs have any problem getting enough hay? Or are they able to get it through the grids without any problem?

I just put up the new racks today and I love them but I want to make sure they can get enough hay.

Thank you again!

By the time I figured out I had to make the box opening bigger, my boxes were toast between my toddler and the pigs, so I went back to using bent grids. Of all times to hop into the hay rack, Lt. Dan found his way into it when it was empty. It was a pretty high jump, too, the poor little dude!

I like the idea of making an exterior rack/box from coroplast. Much sturdier, right? I'll have to look into it again when we make the new cage next weekish.

Do your pigs have any problem getting enough hay? Or are they able to get it through the grids without any problem?

No problems whatsoever. I fill the racks every morning, and every night when I get home they are close to empty. :)

My hayracks are on the outside of my cage. I basically used a cut of coroplast measured for a 1x1. Then I glued three of the four walls together, left one wall open for the top (to fill the hay). Attached to the outside of the cage with zip ties.
Great idea! I was looking for a way to do a hay rack without taking up floor space. I'm going to be redoing my cage later today so I'm will be copying. :D

btw, love your black coro! Wish I could get some cheap here!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.