Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Suddenly really sick - not eating :(

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I've visited these forums. I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have had a similar experience as mine.

Late Friday night I went to bed with all 3 piggies being perfectly normal.

On Saturday morning I went to feed them breakfast and only two of them were scampering around. I found the third, Buns, underneath a hut, unmoving in a ball, all puffed up, and completely uninterested in eating. RED FLAGS! Called the exotics vet right away and they squeezed me in immediately due to the urgent nature of her condition. She was hospitalized for the day.

They couldn't pinpoint what was wrong. Physical exam, x-rays, and bloodwork were all normal except for a couple of indicators that she was dehydrated and hypothermic. They started supportive therapy - heating pads, subcutaneous fluids, pain meds, antibiotics, intestinal stimulant... She perked up shortly after and gobbled all the greens they offered, but still wasn't quite her normal self. The vet sent me home with an arsenal of meds and supplies to give subcutaneous fluids, and her personal cell phone number for me to contact her in case Buns goes down hill. (I love this vet!)

Buns got through the night. She's been on an up and down roller coaster all day today. I've been giving her meds and fluids as directed, but her depressed state and on-and-off interest in food still has me worried. It's ridiculous the relief I feel when she takes interest in her hay. She's been syringe-fed every few hours with critical care to keep something in her gut.

Anyone have any experience with anything like this? What was your piggie diagnosed with? What did you do?

Thanks in advance <3

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like you've got a good vet, and you're doing all the right things. Just keep food in her, and it wouldn't hurt to syringe her some extra water or pedialyte when you're feeding her.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
Buns is doing much better today! She's eating on her own and has more energy! We have a recheck exam with her exotics vet tomorrow afternoon. So far so good!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.