Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Piggy not Eating

Pikachu25

Cavy Slave
I can home from work late last night to find Mia hunched over in her tunnel breathing heavily, and not eating at all. She's usually the first to wheek and run up to me when I refill her hay and pellets. I thought I would give her a night and check for improvement today but there is none. It looks like she tried to eat her pellets, there are lots of crumbs in her dish. I had to go to work today, but I can try to get her to our exotic vet tomorrow. What can I do to make sure she is okay until then? I have some Meloxocam on hand, can I give her that? I am familiar with how to dose properly.

Also she is on pregnancy watch and starting to think she is likely pregnant.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, don't give her Meloxicam. You don't have a clue what's the matter with her, and the meloxicam could make some conditions worse.

But failure to eat is an emergency in a guinea pig, and you should get her to the vet today if you can. Guinea pigs go downhill in a BIG hurry, and 24 hours can make the difference between life and death.

Pikachu25

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your help. She's started eating again, I was able to entice her with some veggies. I couldn't make it to the vet today but she has an appointment scheduled for tomorrow with the best cavy vet I know of. I am thinking it may be dental issues, because she her previous owner never fed her hay. I'll be keeping a very close watch on her, until then keeping my fingers crossed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.