Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Would Getting Another Pig Do More Harm Than Good?

Sunlilac

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm having a bit of a war in my head and wanted to talk it out with fellow pig parents. So, let me start off by saying that I kinda don't want any more pets right now which is the main reason I'm so hesitant in making this decision, but of course I'll do whatever if it'll benefit the pigs.

So a bit of backstory ; about 3-4 years ago my parents got me a guinea pig for my birthday, and like most parents getting a 9-10 year old a pet, they listened to the pet store worker. So that led Ginger, the pig I chose, to be in a pet store cage, alone. About 6 months ago I discovered the pet side of YouTube and realized that Ginger wasn't happy, so we got the Midwest Guinea Habitat (I still hadn't researched to much into pigs at that point and didn't know about C&C cages, I mainly wanted to get her out of that tiny cage and with a friend) and we got her a friend, Dawn, who unfortunately passed away. So then we got Zahra, an unwanted albino pig at the pet store. At this point I have quite a few other animals that I take full time care of who were having all the issues in the book, so I kinda pushed back getting and building C&C cages until early 2018, or as soon as the issues calmed down, since they seemed content enough for now. Now that the issues with the other animals have calmed down, I'm focusing on the pigs. So the C&C grids are ordered and are expected late December. However, then I realized Ginger's age, and that she could very well pass away soon. Zahra has a very dominant personality, and I don't think she'd take well to loosing Ginger then be introduced to one, possibly two older pigs since most pigs at my local shelter are already bonded and I'm not getting another one from the pet store. So, I was wondering if it'd be beneficial to get the two bonded pigs at my local shelter, bond them and Ginger and Zahra, then when they're bonded to put them all into the C&C cage, so there's no scents at all, of course if the bonding goes well. But, Ginger being older and having spent most of her life without pigs, my parents are concerned that it'll cause her a lot of stress, I mean she still gets aggressive with Zahra at times, rarely, but still. :sad:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't count Ginger out yet. Four years isn't particularly old for a guinea pig. Most make it to six, quite a few to seven and even some to eight and beyond.

It can be trickier to introduce two pairs rather than two individuals, but it can be done. Just do it when you've got a LOT of time to give to it, a BIG neutral space to do the introductions in, and make sure you have a very large cage for the foursome. You'll need at least a 2x6 C&C cage, and larger would be better.

If you decide to do this, read https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html before you begin.

Sunlilac

Cavy Slave
Thank you for that link, but also would it be easier to introduce two pairs of bonded pigs, or introduce one to an existing pair? Since like I said, 9 times out of 10 the pigs at the shelter are already bonded. Also, I know Ginger isn't critically old but she still is older and Zahra is under a year, plus I thought if I was ever going to have 3-4 pigs at once, might as well be when they get a new, big cage. Ughhh I don't know.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not that much different introducing a singleton to a pair and a pair to a pair. Do whatever works out best for you and the pigs.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would see if they get along first before just adopting one. Like humans, some get along and some don't care for the person.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.