Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Would a 2x3 work?

• Thread starter Princess_Piggie
  • Start date

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Okay, I'm moving house within the next couple of months, and will be upgrading to a C&C finally! For those of you who don't know, the girls are in a super large pet store cage that exceeds space requirements, but I'd just prefer a C&C, plus having no lid would make cleaning much easier.

Anyway, I'm wondering if a 2x3 would be okay for them. They get along very well, share hideys etc, so I don't think it would cause dominance issues, I'm just wanting to double check and get opinions really. I can get a 2x4 if necessary.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
It sounds to me that your girls are very bonded I think it could work. Although I really like my 2x4 cage. Would a 2x3 be bigger or just as big as the current cage? Because if is than I don't see a difference except that a c&c would be easier to clean. You could try it for a while and if you have to you can expand it.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
That's exactly what I was thinking. I wish I could do a middle ground, like 2x3.5, because a 2x4 is bigger, and a 2x3 is smaller, but the place I'm buying it from only does exacts.

It's just so expensive because the materials aren't as readily available over here. I thought the 2x5 was only £38, I was made up...turns out that's the price of the lid for a 2x5, and a 2x5 cage even without a lid is £60 *cringes away from price*

I'll go with a 2x4. I'd rather them have more space than less.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Couldn't you make it yourself that way you could do a 2x3.5. I know Laura piggiepigpigs made her own out of just coroplast. Before she made her new alternative cage.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately not, like I said the materials are really hard to get hold of here.

Luckily the boyfriend just volunteered to pay for the cage so dilemma over ;)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
There are a lot of UK members both here and at Guinea Lynx who have made great cages with alternative materials.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I'm not the handiest of people unfortunately. Put it this way, I'm having to have a decorator paint my room because I'm that uncoordinated lol

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
You stated your current cage arrangements exceed the min requirements. So I recommend meeting or exceeding the current cage size. If you reduce it problems may arise.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
That's exactly what I was thinking. I wish I could do a middle ground, like 2x3.5, because a 2x4 is bigger, and a 2x3 is smaller, but the place I'm buying it from only does exacts.

It's just so expensive because the materials aren't as readily available over here. I thought the 2x5 was only £38, I was made up...turns out that's the price of the lid for a 2x5, and a 2x5 cage even without a lid is £60 *cringes away from price*

I'll go with a 2x4. I'd rather them have more space than less.

What exactly are you buying and from where?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Try these places.
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I was going for a 2x4 from here (broken link removed)
@lissie would one sheet of that correx be enough for a 2x4?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Yes, one sheet is enough.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Ah okay, for a moment I thought you were going to get an alternative cage of some sort. Those cages you linked don't come with correx?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
@MrWhistles no no, they come with the correx, I was just trying to work out if what lissie linked me to worked out cheaper :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you're not handy, and worry about cutting correx, can you buy just the pre-cut correx base?
You'll have to assemble the grids anyway, no matter where you buy from.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I know I'll need to assemble the cubes and the correx, I assumed when you mentioned 'alternative materials' you meant cages that had been made from scratch out of wood etc, or built in to shelving etc. I'd never be able to make anything from scratch, but if you have suggestions about something similar to a C&C that doesn't require too much DIY I'd definitely be interested!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Would 2mm thick correx be too thin, or would it work? I was going to buy the correx off that website you linked @lissie but my browser popped up a window saying it was an unsafe site with no secure connections, so I'm a little hesitant to buy from there, and the only other reasonably priced correx I can find is 2mm thick.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Would 2mm thick correx be too thin, or would it work? I was going to buy the correx off that website you linked @lissie but my browser popped up a window saying it was an unsafe site with no secure connections, so I'm a little hesitant to buy from there, and the only other reasonably priced correx I can find is 2mm thick.

I found that site on a UK guinea pig forum. I'm pretty sure a lot of people bought from them. If you don't feel safe buying from them, the 2mm is perfectly fine. The sides will be a bit wobbly, but you can poke holes in them and zip tie to the grids to make them stable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.