Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Storage Areas Would my clothes smell if i keep my guinea pigs in a closet?

guineapigfairy

Cavy Gazer
Before you scream animal abuse 😭 i have a really big closet. It is a walk in closet and there is lots of space i don’t use. The closet has vents and a window as well and there’s a lot of natural sunlight even if lights are off.

This is the only reason i’m considering putting my guinea pigs there. My roomates don’t really want them in the living room and their cage is big and would fit perfectly in the closet.

I’m more worried about my clothes starting to smell.

I ordered odor control bedding and im considering buying a cage odor control spray. I’m also hoping to litter train them although they are already over a year old so i’m not very sure it would work. I can also buy like a humidifier if you think that could help. I plan to change bedding every weekend but im wondering if anyone has any experience of guinea pig smell lingering to clothes. im so used to them that i can’t even smell anything when there’s lots of poop in their cages so i’m scared that i wont smell if they are moved to my closet but when i go out i’d smell like guinea pig poop.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can't litter train guinea pigs. The best you can hope for is that they choose one or more places in the cage where they like to pee and poop, and you can put something there to catch the output.

What size is the cage? The larger it is, the less problem you'll have with smell.

I really don't know whether the odor would linger in your clothes. You might cut down on the possibility that it does by changing the cage more frequently than once a week.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.