Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Will they go blind if

Tobias2189

Cavy Slave
Will they go blind if I use a black light in/around their cage? I want to decorate their cage and I'm trying to come up with fun but SAFE ideas. I don't want to hurt them.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I dont see it hurting them, they dont see very well. I wouldnt keep the black light on constantly or anything.

can't you just buy some cool looking fleece online? It might be better and not as much work lol!

wombats

Cavy Slave
Ugh, I had a fantastic write up with sources and explinations and everything, and after I went to firefox to copy a source tapatalk just had a little fart and erased all my typings. Joy.

Anywho, I wouldn't do it. Mainly because we don't know what it could do to guinea pigs even though this is UVA light we're talking about here (the weakest UV light) and it's in very small amounts. However research does prove UVA light can cause melanoma, and while it's UVB light that causes snowblindness-like effects, both types with long-term exposure can cause eye problems. But at the same time UVB is a fantastic source of vitamin D3 which is vital to calcium metabolism and is known to be very beneficial to many species of reptile, yet these are guinea pigs and I don't know how much D3 they need and if they do, it's probably in their pellets anyway.

But really my only confusion is none of these sources describe amounts and for how long...it's just, yes this light is badtimes and does this. You go out into the sun and bam, you got skin cancer and cateracts. But really, it's like saying "oh yea well you're more likely to be struck by lighting than you are to get bit by a shark" well...not really! Someone in Kansas who's never seen the ocean in their life will probably never get bitten by a shark, just as someone who's never been outside in their lifetime is most likely not going to be struck down by lightning.

You know what I mean by that? It's like yes, staring at the sun 5 hours a day, every day, forever is going to destroy your eyes but that's for a very long time under a very powerful source of UV light. But what about decorational blacklights that are very tiny and only on for half of the day, huh? Well, I have no idea, because someone over at UV research HQ decided not to disclose the amounts of their testings.

But nevertheless I wouldn't risk it. I mostly say this because one, we don't know the amount's affects on the body, only what it CAN cause. We also don't know how guinea pigs recieve UV light, as all of this is for people. So honestly, I wouldn't risk it, even though it is a nifty idea. I'm also glad you at least asked first, which is wonderful. :)

Here are my sources:
https://www.who.int/uv/faq/uvhealtfac/en/index3.html
https://www.thinkaboutyoureyes.com/articles/prevention-care/the-truth-about-ultraviolet-rays
https://preventblindness.org/how-can-uv-rays-damage-your-eyes
(broken link removed)
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/are-blacklights-hazardous.90464/

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
@wombats is always awesome like that! You will be a very sucessful young lady!

wombats

Cavy Slave
Aww, shucks... :) you're too kind!

I just wanted to make sure I did some research so I didn't give misinformation. It's an interesting idea as well, and one no one's really bought up before. That's why I did some digging and that's what I could come up with. I hope it helps.

wombats

Cavy Slave
One thing I forgot to add, as a random side note: I say D3 is beneficial to just reptiles...really it's beneficial to most living things, but especially reptiles, bees, and birds. I don't know why bees and birds, but I do know good UV light helps reptiles with calcium deficiancy (which is super scary and causes lots of horrible bone defects) and some say it helps with behavior and feeding. Not sure why though, but I think it's because it emulates the sun's light and encourages natural behaviors. Interesting, huh? Still not entirely sure how it effects guinea pigs though, but if I learn more I'll tell you.

(I imagine some amount of D3 is important, but some animals get it from the food they eat and it's an ingredient in guinea pig pellets which could explain where our pets get theirs)

Tobias2189

Cavy Slave
One thing I forgot to add, as a random side note: I say D3 is beneficial to just reptiles...really it's beneficial to most living things, but especially reptiles, bees, and birds. I don't know why bees and birds, but I do know good UV light helps reptiles with calcium deficiancy (which is super scary and causes lots of horrible bone defects) and some say it helps with behavior and feeding. Not sure why though, but I think it's because it emulates the sun's light and encourages natural behaviors. Interesting, huh? Still not entirely sure how it effects guinea pigs though, but if I learn more I'll tell you.

(I imagine some amount of D3 is important, but some animals get it from the food they eat and it's an ingredient in guinea pig pellets which could explain where our pets get theirs)

I want to say thank you for taking the time to look into that and writing both of your posts. I honestly don't know much about the stuff you talked about but I do understand "not worth a risk". I've had my babies a week now and I don't want any harm to come to them. I thought the black light would make for interesting possibilities. Nothing is worth a risk to somethings health. I really want my girls to have everything and I want it to be unique. I'll look into safer ideas. I finally got my c&c cage today and just got it together a few minutes ago. They're busy knocking things around and "fighting".

Some ideas I've got is looking for a flat stone big enough for an adult guinea pig so they can lay on it while it's hot and have a chance to cool down. I'm not sure something like that would work but I'm gonna look into it. I've been designing different style cages all week. I've still got a long ways to go before I decide on anything final. I'm kinda just ranting at this point so I'll stop. :)

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I want to say thank you for taking the time to look into that and writing both of your posts. I honestly don't know much about the stuff you talked about but I do understand "not worth a risk". I've had my babies a week now and I don't want any harm to come to them. I thought the black light would make for interesting possibilities. Nothing is worth a risk to somethings health. I really want my girls to have everything and I want it to be unique. I'll look into safer ideas. I finally got my c&c cage today and just got it together a few minutes ago. They're busy knocking things around and "fighting".

Some ideas I've got is looking for a flat stone big enough for an adult guinea pig so they can lay on it while it's hot and have a chance to cool down. I'm not sure something like that would work but I'm gonna look into it. I've been designing different style cages all week. I've still got a long ways to go before I decide on anything final. I'm kinda just ranting at this point so I'll stop. :)

There are a lot of really cool cage ideas and there is a spot in c&C cages where everyone has posted photos of their cages. take a look, maybe you'll get some good ideas!

wombats

Cavy Slave
Hahaha, I'm glad you at least found it useful. And I have heard of people using large, smooth stones for guinea pigs but I can't remember why...but I do remember hearing in that discussion that some of their pigs would use them as pillows, and it's not a bad idea actually. Plus, if they don't use them, it's just a rock and it's not a huge waste of money or anything. Just make sure if it's too hot you freeze water bottles and wrap them in a towel/fleece, that's the best way to cool them down, but if you can keep the rock cool as well it'll give them something smooth and cool to lay on.

I'm glad you're being so considerate of your girls' as well! They're very lucky to have an owner like you. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.