Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Please help, Guinea pig ears going black

Becci89

Cavy Slave
Hello,
We have had our guinea pigs for a couple months now. I noticed one of them (Kuromi) on her ears they are going black and crusty. A bit of it fell off today and although looks abit sore it does look like it is healing ok.
Could it be our other guinea pig (Cinnamon) biting her ears. Kuromi is fine in herself and is still happy, eating and drinking well and no signs of anything anywhere else on her.

Attachments

20231205_210051.jpg
It looks like a fungal infection to me. I'm not an expert on this, but if you go to a local pharmacy and buy a topical ointment such as miconozole, and apply sparingly and thoroughly to his ears, it should help. It takes time and you need to be sure its rubbed in well so he or his cagemate can't ingest any, but that's what it looks like to me. Bear in mind that a fungal infection can take weeks to get rid of.

@Guinea Pig Papa is right. Once you get the fungus cleared up, you can apply cold pressed virgin coconut oil every day or so to keep the ears supple and prevent them from cracking.

If you need a antifungal shampoo, I’ve used the Davis brand and it worked well. When I adopted Millie she had mild of podermatitis and what seemed to be a fungus on her feet. The shampoo worked well, and then I used an athlete's foot ointment and it cleared up.

Thank you all so much for your help. I will get her some ointment for her ears.

Hows she doing?

Wonderful news, glad to hear!

Very good news! Just remember, even though it looks much, much better, don't stop the treatment for at least a few more weeks. Fungal infections are notorious for being difficult to get rid of!

Very good news! Just remember, even though it looks much, much better, don't stop the treatment for at least a few more weeks. Fungal infections are notorious for being difficult to get rid of!
Ok then thank you, I will make sure I keep up the treatment for a few more weeks. Thank you for all your help. I'm very new to guinea pigs and thankful for any help and advice. 😊

Thanks for the update. What an improvement!

Hi guys, hope you all had a lovely Christmas and so did your piggies!
Just a quick question, I've been feeding Kuromi and Cinnamon peppers, tomato and as a treat once or twice this week baby corn. Is there any fruit they can have regularly? Would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks😊

I would stay away from fruit on a regular basis. There's just too much natural sugar, which guinea pigs aren't well suited to process. They can, in fact, develop diabetes.

That said, mine get a VERY occasional small piece of watermelon, or a mandarin segment. Some pigs love grapes, and other berries. If you do feed these to them, be mindful of the seeds as they can choke on them.

I would stay away from fruit on a regular basis. There's just too much natural sugar, which guinea pigs aren't well suited to process. They can, in fact, develop diabetes.

That said, mine get a VERY occasional small piece of watermelon, or a mandarin segment. Some pigs love grapes, and other berries. If you do feed these to them, be mindful of the seeds as they can choke on them.
I will stay away from fruits then, thank you for your suggestions. Mine seem to love pepper! I'm trying to find things that they might like. They seem to like the tomatoes, basil, rocket and def peppers.