Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior will my piggies become lonely???

XpancakeX

Cavy Slave
I have 2 piggies. and they are in different cages. i was thinking of getting 2 bigger cages so they can connect into 1. (fyi my 2 piggies hate eachother and the second i put them together they start fighting) But if they never make out will they become sad or lonely and pass away early? i put them both next to eachother. they sometimes try to fight and bite through the cage but still they dont mind it too much. just wondering if they will become sad. so then i can try to get them to make out or not.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How have you tried to introduce them?

Are they males or females?

XpancakeX

Cavy Slave
both female sisters and they just don't like each other. i haven't introduced them yet they were basically separated after a few months of birth in cardboard boxes. chances are they forgot about each other. so i want to put them together but i don't want them to get hurt or anything.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then how do you know they won't get along if you haven't even tried to introduce them?

See https://guinealynx.info/introductions.html for how to do it. And do it when you've got plenty of time to give to it. Don't hurry it.

You also need a large, completely cleaned cage that has nothing in it that smells like either pig when you put them in it.

XpancakeX

Cavy Slave
alright thank you! does it have to be a cage? or can it be a plastic case or big area that doesnt smell like either pig?

XpancakeX

Cavy Slave
looks like i can thanks for the help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can put them anywhere while you're introducing them, as long as nothing smells like either one of the pigs. But if you're putting them back into a cage that only one of them has been living in, it will need to be thoroughly cleaned -- wires, base, new bedding, take the hideys out and replace them temporarily with upside down cardboard boxes. In other words, NOTHING that smells like either pig.

But don't introduce them unless you're going to have them live together afterward. Guinea pigs are wired to establish dominance when they first meet, so putting them together and then separating them again just screws everything up big time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.