Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Will gpigs chew the wood frame? What woods are safe?

rx5extreme

Cavy Slave
We are going to be getting a couple if guinea pigs soon and my husband wants to build their cage. Primarily with wood & Plexiglas & some sort of removable tray in the bottom. Are there woods that we should specifically avoid or wood that are best to use? I am concerned if the piggies chewed it at all isn't that dangerous like the cedar shavings? The wood part would most like be the framing, I think.

Avoid anything from sap trees... Nothing pressure treated, stained or finished wood.

I built my cage with kiln-dried pine.
Why you do need removable trays? Hope they will not be living on wire floors.

My cages are home built too, they can't get to any wood as the base/tray is made from coroplast and creates a barrier between them and the wood frame. Just be sure they can't get to the wood, mine even has a 2 inch gap between the coroplast and the wood. I haven't had any chewing yet although always keep an eye if you put up a first floor because they can stand on things and reach it. I Also used wire like the one in this link (broken link removed)

Also no need to cut the wire creating dangerous pointy spines, all you have to do is bend it flat at a clean edge and keep bending it back and forth a couple times and it will just break naturally leaving you a nice clean edge. Still don't put the wire on the inside, put it on the outside to be even more safe as we don't want any Peggy's cutting they're feet.

Hope this helped!

I don't mind posting a picture of mine later if you want an example of the wire and frame :0)))

There are a few wood and wire/plexiglass cages that I really like. I currently have just c&c I'm waiting till we get a house to build something out of wood. Check out these for some ideas for your hubby. ;)

Non cube cage - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Perspex cage - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Connected Playpen Cage on Worktop - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Cavy Condo #4 - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

The first and third are really nice but the second one is all closed up under the second level so there's probably very little ventilation under there and the last one is really closed up on all the levels and would probably end up being a breeding ground for bacteria.

My cages are home built too, they can't get to any wood as the base/tray is made from coroplast and creates a barrier between them and the wood frame. Just be sure they can't get to the wood, mine even has a 2 inch gap between the coroplast and the wood. I haven't had any chewing yet although always keep an eye if you put up a first floor because they can stand on things and reach it. I Also used wire like the one in this link (broken link removed)

Also no need to cut the wire creating dangerous pointy spines, all you have to do is bend it flat at a clean edge and keep bending it back and forth a couple times and it will just break naturally leaving you a nice clean edge. Still don't put the wire on the inside, put it on the outside to be even more safe as we don't want any Peggy's cutting they're feet.

Hope this helped!

That sounds similar to mine except I got my mesh from here: (broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.