Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Why aren't my piggies drinking?

girlsrus

Cavy Slave
I've had 2 young guinea pigs for a week now, and they don't seem to drink very much water. I give them clean water every day. I've seem them drink a little, so I know they know where the bottle is. I also have not been putting vitamin drops in the water since I read they may not drink if they don't like the taste. Do they just not need much water? Any ideas?

My first two pigs didn't drink from a water bottle atall, and I was fraught with worry. However, it was deemed here, that as they were getting plenty fresh wet veggies daily, they may be getting all the water they need from there. Make sure you leave the rinse water on all your veggies, just to make sure they stay hidrated.

It may be that your tap water doesn't taste too great - or the water bottle spout needs a clean out - have you considered filtering the water - or giving bottled water?

Having since adopted two rescue pigs - they seem to have 'shown' my older one and another pig who wasn't drinking how to drink, as along with their fresh, damp veggies, they are also drinking too!

Keep persevering!

Yeah, my newest piggy was fed nothing but pellets and the first few days after I got him he drank profusely. Once he started eating fresh veggies and fruits, his water consumption has declined dramatically.

My girls don't drink very much water since they get so much on their veggies every day. Keep your eyes peeled for signs of deydration [see Guinea Lynx :: What's Normal? for some symptoms] - but it could just be they drink at night and are getting enough from their veggies.

My boars will not drink out of a bottle, so they get water in a bowl. And it's a real pain, but after five months Kuzco is now finally starting to drink from the bottle, but is still mainly dependant upon the bowl.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.