Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

When do ducks start to quack and lay eggs?

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Hello all!

I am the proud owner of two adorable and beautiful female ducklings, named Abby (short for Abigail, of course) and Sammy (short for Samantha, of course). Abby is a Rouen breed, and I'm unsure as to what exactly Sammy is (I have looked all over google/the net to find photos of ducklings her age and that look just like her, but w/o success. I'll put up some photos of her right here soon. Maybe somebody on here knows? 0_o).

Anyways, Abby will be six weeks old this Thursday, 11-20-08, and that makes Sammy about 1 month/4 weeks older than her, so that'd be 10 weeks. As of typing this, Abby is 5 weeks.

Does anyone here know when ducklings start to go from those adorable, soft peeping-type noises to actual full-fledged quacks? Also, although I know it won't be for a while, does anyone know at about what age ducks start laying eggs? I don't even know if it depends on breed or not. I have a feeling Sammy might be mixed, just might be, and Rouens are most commonly used for dual-purpose (meat [never my babies :eek: ] and/or eggs (yum! I've only ever had chicken eggs before, can't wait to try duck eggs for the first time, anyone ever had those before? how do they compare to chicken eggs?), so those factors with both of them don't really help much.

Thanks a bunch in advance!!

Taboo

Cavy Slave
5 months old they start laying eggs. Um at maybe 2-3 months i think they start quacking.

Nope, never tried any of my ducks eggs. I don't like eggs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.