Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying when can I put my piggy back with the females?

audizzy

Cavy Slave
hello, my male piggy just got neutered yesterday. everything looks like it went well, and he is currently in a separate cage. my question is when can I put him back with the girls? I've read that I should wait until 3-4 weeks, but yesterday I asked the vet's assistant, and she said that it would be fine to put him back with the others since he's young (4 months). What should I do?
Also, if he has to be by himself for a while, won't he get lonely? He's a shy piggy, and always wants to be with his mommy for security, and now that he's alone I kind of feel sad for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miniver

Cavy Slave
Do not put them back together yet. 4 months is old enough to get a female pregnant.

That's all I know on the subject. I'm sure someone else on this forum will give you more detailed information.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
If he's already been living with your females, some of them could already be pregnant. Males can impregnate females, including their mothers, at 3-4 weeks of age.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't put him back until four weeks after his surgery. And cross your fingers that the females aren't pregnant, because if he's related to them, you're going to have inbred pigs. Males can impregnate females at four weeks of age. He should have been separated at 21 days.

audizzy

Cavy Slave
Will he be sad though if he's going to be alone for that long? Should I put a divider in the big cage so he can at least get some interaction with the others?

I have two females, one of them is his mom. I didn't know she was pregnant when I got her, and she surprised me with this little guy on my daughter's first birthday! Lol. I don't think she's pregnant, but if she was would their be problems with the baby/ies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, there could be problems. Inbred guinea pigs can have small or missing eyes, immature digestive tracts, and other issues.

If you put him next to the others, be sure to put a lid on the females' cage. He can push a lid up on his own cage to get out, but he can't lift a lid on their cage to get in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.