Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

When and how to introduce?

thundermuse

Cavy Slave
I've been reading these forums for awhile, but this is my first time posting.

I have two boars happily living together. I recently took in two other boars (living happily together) from a family that couldn't keep them. The new guys still have 2.5 weeks of quarantine, after which they will be moved to the room with the original pair. The cages will be placed next to each other. I have no intention of making one gigantic cage for all of them to live in together, but I would like all four of them to be able to have floor time together.

So, my questions are:

1) When should I introduce them? Should I give them some time in the same room together before introducing them so they get used to each other's scents first, or can I introduce them right away (after quarantine time's up, of course)?

2) When I do introduce them, should I put them all together at once--all four pigs? Or should I introduce them one at a time?

3) Is there a risk of the bonded pairs not getting along after all four are introduced at floor time? I would hate to have that happen, because they're so happy with their buddies right now. Should I just not try it?

Thanks for any input!

Pamp81

Cavy Slave
Well they usualy don't really care that another pig is there but keep towels ready incase they fight. Get someone to help.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Introduce them all on neutral territory. I would suggest trying it and I don't see that bonded pairs wont get along. You may even be able to house them together after a few meetings, if you are interested in doing that. (I would be!)

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
Yes, i agree. They would love to have a huge cage together in my opinion!

thundermuse

Cavy Slave
One big cage would be great if they all get along, but I'm not sure it'll be feasible. Each pair is in a 2x4 C&C cage with a 2x1 loft. But the cage I made for my pigs and the cage the new pigs came with aren't totally compatible. The grids are different sizes, as are the connecters, and I used regular Coroplast for mine, whereas the new pigs' cage was made with thicker, industrial strength corrugated plastic. With the different grid sizes, the plastic bottoms are different sizes. It wouldn't be as simple as just connecting the two cages together. There would be weird gaps I would have to fix somehow. I would probably end up buying another sheet of regular Coroplast and more cubes like I have, and just adding on to my cage. Of course, since the new pigs are in quarantine in another room, I haven't been able to see how the two cages look next to each other. Maybe it would work out after all. We'll see. A 2x8 cage with lofts on either side would be pretty neat if I can make it work!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.