Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems What's that behind his eye??

We don't have a Cavy Savy Vet nor any exotic vets.

If you have no Cavy vet, where would your pigs go in an emergency?

I would wait for it to heal over since it looks pretty painful, and just applying it could make it worse.

Good luck

It is not an open wound.That's just the color of the betadine. The fungus is just gray.

Betadine is actually great for cleaning wounds. And according to Guinea Lynx, it is safe for use near the eyes.

https://www.guinealynx.info/antiseptic_solutions.html

An antifungal cream might be better at actually eliminating the fungus, although the site you mentioned before says that Betadine is effective at treating fungus in guinea pigs:

(broken link removed)

I would go ahead and keep using the Betadine, especially if you're seeing an improvement. :)

Perhaps it would help if you took another photo, without the betadine. In that photo it looks like the area has scabbed and is leaking serum.

Before:
What's that behind his eye??
After:
What's that behind his eye??What's that behind his eye??What's that behind his eye??What's that behind his eye??

What do you think? Is there any improvement? Should I continue using betadine?

I think you should continue using the betadine, as there may not be any results for a few more days. It doesn't look to have improved a whole lot, but we'll wait and see.

I don't see that much of a change. How many times did you use the Betadine? You might want to switch to an anti-fungal cream.

I've used betadine 3 times. I'm going to switch to anti-fungal cream tomorrow

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.