Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? What makes a guinea pig fan?

Elmo525

Cavy Slave
Ok today i was unfortunate enough to meet a snob guinea pig owner..ok everyone keeps their pets differently but this cavy owner criticised me on having a single storey c&c cage and for only having two guineas. So im asking how many is enough? Previously I've kept up to 10 pigs but due to my long hours couldn't put in the time or the money to keeping so many is acceptable? Ollie and peanut are just as happy with each other than with another 6 or more around them. Opinions please

Pigs can like living in herds, but it is perfectly acceptable to have a pair of pigs. For most people, it is not practical to have a bunch of pigs.
I also don't know any reason why it is bad to have a single story c and c cage.

I was just a bit annoyed this person judged me on how many guinea pigs I had. Ollie and Peanut are perfectly healthy happy and have everything I can afford. Because I didnt have the money or space this person obviously does I was classed as "neglectful"

If your guinea pigs are happy and healthy they are fine. :)

I'm sorry - I read your post and it made me giggle. I have been coming across some piggy people that are the same way. SELF-appointed experts (emphasis on the "self"). It is so much like parenting - of course there are different ways that all work, but some folks get set on their way is best and all others are substandard.

There are people in the "piggy world" (like, on this forum) that I do respect and believe they are "experts". Those people are the ones that have owned piggys for years, have had different experiences with behavior and/or medical situations, and are kind well-meaning advice givers. I have noticed the REAL experts are kind, friendly, not judgmental, and only put their foot down when a pig is in serious danger (or the owner is a serious bone head).

Two pigs is absolutely fine. One level is absolutely fine. In your heart, you know your pigs are happy and healthy. And I would put forth you are an EXCELLENT piggy owner. Why? Because you recognize your limits and know you can give 100% to 2 pigs, and 2 pigs only. I have the utmost respect for that!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.